France to launch €49 train ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following the success of the German and Portuguese version France is due to launch a €49 monthly ticket next year, valid on TER and Intercity trains but not on TGVs. Possibly also for buses and metros but that is yet to be worked out.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023...tschlandticket
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 04:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
However, it is just a vague announcement. The exact fare is not yet confirmed and will take lots of negotiations since the various regions control the fares of the regional trains and not the SNCF. It is extremely likely that the pass (or whatever it is) will only be for young people and maybe seniors for a start before being extended to all age groups.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Really? The statement says it will happen for trains and be available regardless of age. True it doesn't say it will be available to non residents, but no suggestion of an age restriction. I am pretty sure they'll decide it can be for visitors too.
Remains to be seen if it is available on buses and metros as it says.

But whatever. I thought the article was of interest but apparently not.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 09:36 AM

Let's just say that the announcements were a bit premature. I watched the interview with the minister of transportation, and the interviewer relentlessly asked "will it be the same as the 49€ fare in Germany?" Clιment Beaune (the minister) repeated again and again that nothing has yet been decided but yes, the fare should be maybe about the same as in Germany. And he made a point of saying that he had no idea about the eligibility. But the interviewer kept hammering away at him. I guess the reporters covering the event just heard what they wanted to.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 11:34 AM

I saw that interview also, at least one on Telematin, although both Beaune and the interviewer talk really fast so I was having a bit of trouble following. However, originally when talking about this, Beaune said it would be for the young, I think, and also that it would be targeted for 2025. So things have shifted and I think maybe Macron influenced what he is or is not saying now. But I thought part of the problem (aside from cost to the government) is that SNCF doesn't control local city transport, either. I never read anywhere that it was proposed for foreigners and when Beaune says "for all" I think he is naturally just thinking French residents, in fact in one interview I think he said that (what a great thing this would be for our citizens).

Here it is, last Feb https://www.20minutes.fr/societe/402...clement-beaune

Kind of vague on how they are going to pay for all this.
I think some official in the north didn't like the idea that they were going to have to pay for this, and then in Occitanie, they said they already had totally free local transport including TER for those less than age 26. Which I didn't know.

They picked two winners at the hackathon in February which Beaune mentions in that 20minutes interview.

https://www.francemobilites.fr/actualites/hackathon

Old Sep 9th, 2023, 07:10 AM

Don't know if it is the same thing but a fodorite posted about this fare. I checked it out but there was a deadline of Sept 4 to buy and I checked it out Sept 5. The deal I read about was 49E fare for seniors but until Sept 4, half price which would have made it a great deal for me. Maybe I am wrong and there is another upcoming deal in the works.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 09:51 PM

It will be interesting to see if it comes about. I'd love to see it.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 08:00 AM

It will happen sooner or later. The SNCF needs something to boost regional trains which are still used a lot but mostly unloved.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 03:42 AM

This week, the government "disclosed" its plan for a green policy. If the idea was still on the table, it would have been the opportunity to give more concrete details. Nothing..
Reality is that the train already costs a lot of money for the tax payer (15 Billions per year), still not enough to finance infrastructure and neither state nor regions have money to further subsidize low fares an local trains.
in my region, with my railcard avantage, I used to have a 50% discount on off peak trains. Now, discount is reduced to 25% on all trains. Clearly not going towards lower fares...
Old Sep 30th, 2023, 05:54 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
That would be great! Thanks for the info, heti!