France, Switzerland, Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a first pass on itinerary for 3 week trip to France, Switzerland, and Italy. I like the idea of Switzerland for the Alps Bavaria experience, rather than Nice or Provence area. I've read about Grindenwald and Wenger as good locations. What is there to do there for 5 days, though? I am travelling with 2 teenagers. For Paris, should I take a day from somewhere else to day trip to Loire Vally? Thanks for any help/advice.

Paris – Arrive late morning, Zombie Walk after red eye flight
Paris - Arc de Triomphe. Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, Tuileries, Orangerie.
Paris - Eiffel Tower, Louve, other Musee's
Paris – Versaille
Paris – down day
Switzerland – Train or Fly? Hotel Where?
Switzerland - ?
Switzerland - ?
Switzerland - ?
Switzerland - Down Day
Venice – Fly from Zurich, Hotel near St Marks Square
Venice - Vaporetto down Grand Canal, Burano/Murano tour
Venice- St. Mark's, Secret Itinerary Doges Tour
Venice – Maybe explore churches/Down Day
Rome – Arrive by Train, Hotel near Vatican. Wander to Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi, Campo de Fiori.
Rome – Colosseum, Forum
Rome – Day trip to Ostia Antica
Rome – Vatican, St. Peter's, Scavi Tour.
Rome – Day trip to Pompeii
Rome – Down Day
Fly Home Next Day
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that I will be travelling during peak August and this is my first trip anywhere to Europe. I know it will be hot and crowded, but this is the only window of time that would work for us. We do like to keep busy, so any ideas that would appeal to teenagers would be much appreciated. Also, I have not booked any accomodations or travel besides my open jaw flight from US.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 06:04 AM

I'm sorry if I missed some previous post of yours when you said what time of year you are traveling, but whatever time of year it is, there is always the possibility of rainy days and thunderstorms -- or blizzards, heat waves, whatever is the worst the season can deliver.

I assume you are willing to be flexible?

You really shouldn't bother with Ste Chappelle unless it is a sunny day. Pompei is a completely outdoors site, so you don't want to go in a downpour for sure. Ditto Ostia Antica.

I heartily endorse your plans to see Pompei and Ostia Antica, plus seeing the Forum. Be prepared for a lot of arm-twisting to talk you out of it. I highly recommend that you see Ostia Antica BEFORE you see the Roman Forum. The Forum will be more transparent to you if you see Ostia Antica first. Also, adding the Baths of Caracalla to your Colisseo/Forum day would be great. Be sure if you go to the Baths of Caracalla that you also pas through the Piazza Farnese (near Campo de'Fiori, because the fountain in the piazza Farnese is made from one of the huge bathtubs from the ancient baths.

I hate to add to your long day in Pompei, but if you can get back to Naples to spend 90 minutes in the archeological museum, it is a thrill. A real thrill.

I think Torcello is infinitely more interesting than Burano, so if you are going all that way, give it serious consideration.

I have never taken the Secret Itineraries tour and I have heard mixed reviews, especially in the heat of summer. Just a thought. Check with others to see what they say.

One more thought: Since you are staying close to the Vatican/St Peters, considering breaking up your visit so that you don't have one full day of all-Vatican-all-the-time.

And learn to use the metro because it will save you a lot of steps between your hotel and the sights of antiquity.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 06:09 AM

Okay -- we were posting at the same time. Now I see you are traveling in August.

You need to think twice about all this underground stuff and secret passages tours. They can be overwhelmingly hot.

Pompei is hotter than a frying pan in August. There is no shade there whatsoever. Take the family to Ostia Antica, which has shade and catches a sea breeze. Poll the family afterwards if they are up for a trip to Pompei as well.

The way to beat the heat in Rome is to do some of your touristing at night. The Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the piazzas. The Castel Sant'Angelo, near your hotel, has festival activities in summer. Use the metro to zip out to places like the Colosseo early in the morning, but take a rest in the heat of the day. Go back out after 4pm and join the fun.

Instead of Pompei, consider a day trip to the beach at Sperlonga. Look it up on the web with a google search.