Reload this Page >

France-River Travel, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Linda

A friend and I are planning a trip to France in 2000. I am interested in unusual ways to get around and would like to know if anyone has done any travelling on the Loire river. I'd like ideas, suggestions about this kind of travel. <BR>Also planning to go to Provence and Corsica. Anything anyone can tell me about Corsica would be appreciated.

Old Mar 18th, 1999, 11:22 PM
Jan

Hi Linda, I've had two holidays in Corsica it is a wonderful island lovely beaches and spectacular mountains in the interior. I stayed near Calvi on the first occasion which has a fortified 'old town' and a large yacht harbour personally I prefer the southern part of the island which is where I stayed on my second visit. There are some great beaches there and you are nearer to lovely areas like the Col de Bavella and the must see town of Bonafacio. If you are planning to drive in Corsica it can be slow going as some of the roads especially in the mountains are very windy with hair pin bends etc. Get a copy of the Michelin green guide to Corsica if you can, it is very informative and if I can help further do email me. If you go to Corsica I can guarantee you will not de disappionted!

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 02:43 AM
Martha

Hi, Linda-- I'm not an expert on the Loire, but the banks are kind of flat, and the parts I've seen were fairly silted up. In the Loire area, they do run pleasure boats on the river Cher (the one that goes under Chenonceaux) but I don't know if they're all day trippers or if there are private rentals. Have you considered the Canal du Midi, heading South from Toulouse? Or the River Lot? The chateaus on the Lot are smaller and not as famous, but the limestone cliffs are breathtaking. There are houseboats for rent, for a short vacation. Good luck. Martha

Old Mar 19th, 1999, 05:29 AM
Lou Lesesne

I recommend renting a boat in Burgundy. There are many canals and rivers, and lots of boat options available. Many small villages, a very relaxed and unhurried way to travel. We were on the River Saone in 1996 and will be on the Canal du Nivernais in June 1999. Check back later this summer for details.

Old Apr 4th, 1999, 07:14 PM
NiceTriGuy

We are planning a river trip Sept 99 on the Canal du Midi. Good info at: <BR>http://www.crown-holidays.co.uk/english/begin.htm <BR> <BR>