France Itinerary 8 Nights 9 Days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Planning France trip from 23 may for 8 nights 9 days.

Thought of 4 days Paris, 2 days Provence and 3 days Nice.

Hope above itinerary ok.

1. Do I need a Eurail Pass to cover internal journeys or how I book train tickets? Are reservations must?

2. What to see and do in Paris ?

3. Where to stay in Provence and what to do?

4. From Nice, would like to cover cannes, monaco and st tropez. How to do that?

5. Also need help in arranging Eiffel Tower tickets which are already sold out online.

6. Can you help finding good accommodation in these places?

Any suggestion welcome. Any place a must visit in France ? Can it be covered on the way?

Thanks and regards,

Rajesh Motwani
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 06:37 AM

Usually 8 nights is less than 8 full days. Do you arrive in France earlier than 7am and leave France after 9PM?

>>Any place a must visit in France ?<<

Yes - years worth of "must sees"

>>Can it be covered on the way?<<

No

With only 8 days, you'll barely scratch the surface of the three areas you plan on visiting.

No Eurail pass needed. Book tickets here
https://www.capitainetrain.com/search/

Can't do all that stuff around Nice in only 2 1/2 days - specially St Tropez.

My 35 page Provence/Cote d'Azur itinerary will help you. I've sent tit to over 3,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 11:26 AM

Rajesh--

Stu's right. You don't have time to see much, and the more travelling you do, the less time you'll have to see anything.

2 and 3: If I were you, I'd get a good guidebook for France (or ask Stu for his) and figure out what you want to do. Why go to Provence, for example, if you don't know what you want to do in Provence? There is, however, lots to do but without knowing what you want to do, we can't help you.

5. Don't get tickets for the Eiffel Tower. It's best seen from the ground, at various spots while walking around Paris. Go to the roof of Galeries Lafayette where you can get a view over Paris for free.

6. Try Tripadvisor.com for hotels. We stayed at Hotel Welcome in Villefranche-sur-mer (east of Nice)and liked it a lot. It's right on the train, so you could train to Nice and to Monaco.

For Paris, we stayed on the Left Bank right around Saint Michel Metro stop on our first trip, and found that was a good location--within easy walking distance of many things you'll want to see (Notre Dame, Ste. Chapelle, Louvre Museum) and easy access to the Metro for the more distant.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
rajesh - at best, you have time to stay in 2 places and travelling from Paris to the south will eat up the best part of one day, even on the TGV. If you are flying into and out of CDG, consider getting the TGV straight from there to the south, and then coming back up to Paris to finish your trip, which puts you in the right place for your return flight.

i would suggest picking either Provence [? Avignon?] or Nice, and staying there 4 nights. then get an early train back to Paris, and finish your trip there.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Guys. Thanks for your replies.I certainly have 9 full nights out of which I was considering 8 full days.

Will mail Stududley. Thanks for the info.

How about Lyon on the way to Nice for 2 nights? Need to choose between Provence, Avignon and Lyon.

Dear DWD, what was the hotel name in Paris on the left bank.

Thanks once again.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

How far St. Tropez from Nice. Cant it be covered in one full day?

One day for Cannes, Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo

One half day for hop on tour.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 01:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One day for Cannes, Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo...

You must be fit to do all this in daylight hours
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 06:18 AM

>>How about Lyon on the way to Nice for 2 nights? Need to choose between Provence, Avignon and Lyon.<<

Avignon is in Provence.

You have 8 days. Four in Nice & four in Paris would be perfect. Don't try to add anything else - unless you are an 8:30 am to 7:00 PM traveler. You'll need a car to explore all the stuff that keeps us returning to Provence. If you can/don't want to rent a car - visit the Nice area instead of Provence. Don't "big city" hop - ie Paris, Lyon, Avignon, Nice. Visit some countryside & small hill villages - see my itinerary for details.

>>How far St. Tropez from Nice. Cant it be covered in one full day?<<

St Tropez is not a good choice for a day trip from Nice. Public transportation is not good for getting there. Plus if you go in the summer months, St Tropez will be mobbed with day trippers mid-day. It's best to do 1 or 2 nights there (with car). We've spent about 6 weeks vacationing in St Tropez.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:07 AM

I agree with Stu 100%. 4 days in Nice, 4 days in Paris. The TGV from one to the other is only 5 1/2 hours. You're trying to go to too many places in too short a time. The first time I went to Nice, I expected to stop for the night. I stayed 3 days and never left Nice itself. I've also spent 11 or 12 days in Paris so far, and still haven't seen everything I want to see.

If you decide to see Provence instead of Nice (and you really can't do both comfortably in 4 or 5 days) I would recommend renting a car and - instead of Provence proper - seeing places like Arles and Les Baux.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 07:56 AM

No to the France Eurailpass - you are not traveling nearly enough to make it pay off and France have pass-holder quotas for certain TGV lines like to Provence - even if seats remain pass holders may be denied the pass holder rate - 3 euros or so for the mandatory seat reservation and told they have to buy full fare tickets - this has actually happened to several I know.

But you just are not traveling enough to make it pay off - do like Stu dudley suggests and go to www.capitainetrain.com and nab discounted tickets if you book way ahead of time - those tickets are sold in limited numbers and can sell out way early - they are also I believe non-changeable nor refundable so be sure of your train dates and times and do not miss your train!

For lots of great info on French trains: www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:39 PM

rajesh--

Last time I looked,it had either closed or changed names. But it was on the corner from the San Michel RER entrance. Just looked at the map and it appears the hotel currently known as "Les Rives De Notre Dame" was probably it, but considerably updated since we stayed there. Looks like the rates are still pretty good.

http://www.rivesdenotredame.com/
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 04:54 AM

3. Where to stay in Provence and what to do?>

I like the Avignon/Arles area and think for the average tourist that is the best bet - those two really sweet old towns reek of history and within a short radius of these places you have such gems as Les Beaux-de-Provence; St-Remy-de-Provence; the Pont du Gard (imposing Roman aqueduct), etc. Public transporation will take you to those places bugt having a car would be helpful.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Second PalenQ on Arles. We stayed about a week in Arles during our time in Provence and it was a very good base.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Thanks for your responses.

Planned somewhat like this.....

4 nights Paris, 2 nights Aix En Provence and 3 Nights Nice

Need your help in finding good hotels for above 3 cities minimum 3 star to 4 star in central locations like Champs Elysees, Paris. Please suggest. It will be of great help.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 10:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Stars do really mean that much (they indicate specific amenities, not quality or room rates).

What is your nightly budget?

ps: I think you are cutting your time in Paris way too short
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Budget in the range of 100-125 Euros per night
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 04:04 AM

finding good hotels for above 3 cities minimum 3 star to 4 star in central locations like Champs Elysees

Ummm, need a dose of reality. And maybe our leg is getting pulled with the budget of 125E just revealed.

And by the way, the champs in Paris is one of the most uninteresting parts of an enchanting city.

Three days in Nice? Everyone likes their own trip, but with what the OP seems to "know" about France, I DO wonder what the draw is for that rather than more Paris/more Provence.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 06:20 AM

ps: I think you are cutting your time in Paris way too short>

4 nights too short - why - the average tourist I think has enough with three days - what would you recommend a week in Paris - at the expense of what other place. No IME 4 nights in Paris is abut right. You do not have to spend a week in everyplace to do it justice - you could spend weeks but 3 days in Paris for the average tourist will be enough IME.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi
From your replies champs elysees looks very expensive. You can suggest apartments in good paris locations near the metro.

Same for aix en provence and Nice.

Need some assistance badly regarding accommodation.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12th, 2015, 09:36 AM

We always stay at the Hotel Windor (walkable from the train station) in Nice if we don't stay in apts. www.hotelwindsornice.com Ask for a room facing the garden.

We've stayed at le Pigonnet ( www.hotelpigonnet.com ) in Aix which is not in the middle of Aix, but a short walk away, quiet, and somewhat close to the train station.

We've stayed at the Terminus across the street from the Gare de Lyon (train to Aix) several times, but these stays were just for one-nighters before flying home. I would not call the area "centrally located". Try the Algleterre on Rue Jacob in St Germain des Pres. http://www.hotel-dangleterre.com/en/

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -