France/ Italy trip- Looking for ideas in the French Alps

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2022, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and 17 year-old son and I will be traveling to France and Italy this summer. Most Likely July 11-24. Flying in to Paris (because those are the tickets we could get on miles with the least amount of stops). Planning on spending at least a few days here to get over jet lag, explore a bit off the beaten path- not do major sight seeing. This will be our second time in Paris so I feel less obligated to do all the typical sights. Other than spending an afternoon in The Musée de l'Orangerie I am pretty open to suggestions in or around Paris.

From there we will train south to Nice and on to CT with our friends. We will stay at least three nights in CT (vernazza). We've been there before and it was the highlight of monthlong trip to Europe- nothing but swimming and eating and relaxing and hiking.

Then we have 4 more days to plan- I was thinking Provence, my DH was thinking Chamonix. We want relaxing villages and a little bit of slow travel (as slow as you can with a two week trip). We do love hiking and mountain biking, and with our son I'm thinking the French Alps might be a better option.

I'd love to hear thoughts about where to stay/ what to do in the French Alps. Still very early in my research but I know I'm running out of time.

I've also read great things about the Dolomites and BO. open to that idea as well.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 02:24 AM

The most logical itineraries from Vernazza to Paris CDG airport go through the Alps anyway.
You will have the choice between Vernazza - Milan - Swiss Alps - Paris,
Vernazza - Turin - Aosta Valley - Chamonix or Switzerland - Paris,
Vernazza - Turin - Mont Cenis - Chambery - Paris.

Personally, I would go through Aosta Valley, may be like that:
Vernazza dp 7.25 - Turin 11.10/11.25 - Pont St. Martin (Gressoney Valley) ar 12.36 - Chatillon (Valtournanche/Matterhorn Italian side) ar 13.00 - Aosta (scenic medieval city center with many Roman buildings (theatre, city gates, roman museums, etc.) ar 13.20 - Courmayeur (gondola to Mont Blanc) ar 14.35.
Courmayeur dp to Chamonix (3/4 hrs journey): 9.45, 11.45, 15.45 , 18.00.
Chamonix - Paris CDG airport: 7 hrs by train, Chamonix dp 6.00, 9.00, 11.00.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You will be there at our favorite time of year! If you are in Paris, the 13th & 14th, you will get to experience the bals at the firestations (assuming they are doing that this year with the tail end of the pandemic) the evening of the 13th, and the military parade and fireworks on the 14th. Really not to be missed! We go to the fire station party at the fire station in the 14th (St. Suplice) and watch the parade the next day by the Assemble Nationale (near the quai d'Orsay) since the Metro stations close along the Champs Elysee. For the fireworks, we bought the special "cruise" on Vedettes de Paris by the Eiffel Tower. They can be purchased online a month in advance.

Chamonix is a lovely place to hike (or ski) and visit Mont Blanc, as well as nearby Val-d'Isere, which does have summer runs. However, I've not really been there in summertime . . . used to go skiing at both places in winter when I lived in Grenoble. As an alternative, Montreux, Switzerland is a close enough drive to the area, and depending on when you go, may or may not have the last vestiges of the Montreux Jazz Festival (a misnomer, as it has a LOT of rock and indie music, so should be called a music festival). A really great line up this year. Lots of good hiking options in and around Montreux, and you can even take a day trip to Zermatt if you want.
Old May 27th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

ooh that's super helpful! Thank you. Do you recommend staying in Chamonix and doing day trips? Do you know if we need to purchase these particular train tickets ahead of time?
Old May 27th, 2022, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Yes! we will be in Paris I think the 12-14! Thanks so much for that tip. I think we will miss the fireworks, sadly because our dates got shifted a bit. Thanks for all the tips about the Alps. I'm thinking of planning 3 days in tat area so we can do a couple day trips.
Old May 29th, 2022, 08:13 AM

Tickets from Genoa to Turin and from Lyon to Paris airport have to be bought in advance..Youi often get discounts if you book 1-3 months ahead. Tickets for local trains and buses can be bought until a few minutes prior to departure (ticket machines, no discounts for early booking).