France in December

Search

France in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France in December

We will be travelling to France in December for two weeks - from the 12th until the 25th. My daughter will be studying in Paris from Sept. until December and the rest of the family (husband, two more daughters, 18 and 13) will be meeting up with her. We know that we want to spend 4-5 days in Paris with a day trip to Versailles and are trying to decide about the remainder of the trip, understanding that it will be cold. We have been to other countries in Europe (Italy, England, Denmark, Turkey, Greece, Spain) but have not really spent time in France (outside of going to Paris 30 years ago for 2 days). I would appreciate suggestions about an itinerary for a first time trip with children. One of the options we were thinking of was the Provence or the Cote D' Azur. I assume we will need to get a car and it will give us a bit more flexibility. Thanks!!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM

First, a lot longer than that in Paris for sure. And especially if you are going to VErsailles on one.
A lot of hotels in the south may be closed so that will be a consideration. The best way to get there and maximize time is the train, so you will want to shop for prem fares for that number of people. Then rent a car.
A few days in Normandy would be lovely.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM

Yes, it will be cold, rainy, dark and dreary with short days - in other words, perfect museum weather.

Paris will be okay in December.

Provence will be cold and expect sharp, ice-cold winds there. Many hotels and apartments do not have proper heating there and insufficient insulation against those cold winds. Furthermore, the main attractions of the Provence are Roman ruins and landscape - both outdoor stuff. Many people who had gone there in winter regretted it.

Cote d'Azur will be a bit better, at least not as windy as the Provence - at least if you keep east of the Esterel mountains (Cannes and further east). And there are many museums and other indoor attractions. Perhaps the better choice than Provence. You may encounter some nice days with sunshine, but be also prepared for rain.

Strangely, the warmest region in France in wintertime is Brittany (because it is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean). You might make a tour from Paris to the Loire, spend two or three days there to visit some castles, then proceed to Brittany, spend some time there, and drive back via Mont St. Michel, Honfleur, Rouen to Paris.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM

I live in Southern France and December is usually nice, sunny and not really cold. January and February are the worst months in terms of weather.

To say that a lot of hotels might be be closed is not quite the truth. After all Nice started as a winter-resort, not a summer one. Some of them will be closed yes, but there are real people living real lives and holding real jobs that need real and properly heated hotel rooms all year round ! Hotel owners do not rely solely on tourists to make a living.

The ice-cold wind (mistral) is just that : ice-cold because it blows over snowy mountains and at its coldest in January and February. The good side of it is that it blows away the clouds and is always followed by a spell of very sunny days.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM

We've been in both Paris and Nice in December; Nice was better. We had beautiful, almost spring-like weather and were able to have lunch outside every day. There's a large Christmas market in Nice in December, lots of decorations there and in most other towns and villages, and assorted Christmas fairs with special seasonal products.

We're headed to Nice in December and can't wait. Hotels would not be a problem except possibly in rural areas. We're staying in one B&B and one hotel.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM

TGV train from Paris to Avignon is about 3 hours...relaxing ride...can rent a car at the TGV Avignon station...mistrals may blow in Dec (often times warm as well...it is a crap shoot)....Nimes, Alres, Orange, Avignon...all nice options with plenty of things to see...Nice/Cannes/Grass will be nice too...but may be somewhat more crowded.

4 days Paris...a fifth for Versailles only...
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM

I wore jeans and a short sleeved t-shirt in Nice on Christmas Day. The weather was gorgeous.

In case you are in Paris for Christmas, I have found out that Versailles is closed on Christmas Day. Their website (a week ago) said it was open but I e-mailed them to check.

Have lots of fun!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. As we began looking, I started to think that maybe we would enjoy the Dordogne region. There are apartments that we can rent there and if we station ourselves near Sarlat, it sounds like we should be able to stay in one place. Does anyone know how cold it gets in this area (We're from California so a bit weary of the cold...unless you are skiing!!!)because most of the adventures would be outdoors?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM

As others have said, it will not necessarily be dreary and cold in France at that time. I arrived in Paris one Dec. 21 to warm-ish rain; the following week in Provence (not the Cote) it was crisp but bright and sunny. I have never been to the Dordogne but I would imagine that it would have weather similar to that of Provence; others with experience in that region will advise.

It sounds like a super trip for your family. My Dec. trip was to spend Christmas with my daughter who was studying in Strasbourg--alas, 18 years ago, but lots of wonderful memories!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:48 AM

First thing which jumps to my mind is: go skiing ! That's what the French do in Winter... Although December may be a bit early for really good snow. Depends on the year. Basically you would have two choices: either the Pyrenees on the Spanish border (about 5 hours train + car) or the French Alps (about 6 hours train).

Now if you're not too much into skiing, I would agree with Traveler1959. Most of France's ground level area has a cold and rainy winter. Brittany has usually mild winters, due to the fact that it's on the Atlantic shores, which means near to the Gulf Stream, keeping the area at a "pleasant" temperature, with an average of about 45 - 49 F (we even have palm trees here... ok: don't expect California though ). And when the weather is really bad, have a walk on the cliffs. When the wind comes to about 80 mph, well, the show is amazing...

This is a good place to check for temperatures throughout the year: http://www.worldclimate.com/. For towns in Brittany you can check Rennes (center of Brittany), Brest (North West edge) or Quimper (South West edge) For Quimper, you will have actually to choose Penmarch (or Penmarc'h in Celtic Breton, ever heard of Tristan and Isleut ? Well, that's where the story says Tristan died, waiting for Yseult).

A few ideas of what to visit: Rennes, Quimper, Concarneau, benodet, la pointe du Raz, les Monts d Arree, Huelgoat, Oceanopolis, Broceliande, les enclos paroissiaux (Parish Closes), Locronan ...

You can come by train (TGV: French high speed train (max speed 356 mph, average 164 mph) to Rennes (2 hours) and rent a car or Brest (5 hours). You can come by plane from Paris to Brest Airport (Air France, about 1 hour 15 minutes) and rent a car there.

We run a B&B in the Monts d Arree, in the middle of the Celtic part of Brittany, between Brest and Quimper, an area full of legends and where a lot of people still speak Breton (Celtic). If you're in the area and wish more information, just drop in. We'll be glad to help you http://www.chambres-hotes-brezehant.fr/en/index.html

Wish you a nice stay in France.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Just a thought, Strasbourg has wonderful Christmas markets all over the city, it's terribly crowded but will surely put you in the Christmas spirit.
Enjoy your trip,
Susan
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 07:07 AM

IMO, you do not want to go to the Dordogne in December. It's bleak, cold, rainy, icy even. A LOT of things are closed. Don't do it.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM

You can take a TGV directly to Marseille from Paris. My husband and I spent last Christmas and New Year's there. It was wonderful. Sunny and warm enough to sit outside for lunch and to read but at night quite chilly. But lots to see and do.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Winter is not the best time for the Cote d'Azur - since it's too cold for beaches, cafe-sitting etc. I would stick with areas that have a lot to do indoors - so chilly and rainy aren;t such a problem.

I would probably head for Strasbourg and perhaps Lyons - places with museums and cathedrals.

Part of the joy of the Cote D'Azue is the long evenings, trips up to little town in the hills, beautiful countryside etc - which just won;t be the same in Dec.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Hmm

"Winter is not the best time for the Cote d'Azur - since it's too cold for beaches, cafe-sitting etc."

Which Cote d'Azur are you talking about ?

I visit frequently in winter (it is a short drive away). People sit on the beaches, and pavement cafes are thronged with people.

Peter

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM

December in Nice is great fun. There's a big Christmas market, and that town and others put up festive decorations. There are craft fairs in small villages, and it's all a lot of fun.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Well - I've been twice in Dec - and both times it was rainy (mist and drizzle - not heavy rain) and/or gray - and not weather for sitting outside. Also the daytime temps were in the 50's - not the 70's (which for me is outdoor sitting/beach weather).