France in August

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France in August

We are 5 adults traveling to Paris and the Somme in August 2012. Have read that a lot of restaurants are closed for August as everyone goes on holidays. Is this really true? Should I consider changing to July?
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 02:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some are, I don't think this a reason to change to July, however, in general the french are on holiday in August I'd tend to go outside that month if it is easy to do.

Now have you heard of Bastille day, look at Wiki, you might want to join in
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Nobody starves any month in either Paris or the Somme.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 03:56 AM

I have been to Paris twice in August and while many shops and restaurants are closed, you will still find plenty of choice. It is not a ghost town.

No need to change unless there is something you absolutely have your heart set on that is closed in August.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:13 AM

If the choice is between July & August - I would go in July. First two weeks of July preferably.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:17 AM

We froze to death both of those months this year. The hot months were April, May and September.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM

We were in Paris the first week of July of this year and it was very warm and crowded. While I would not again travel to Paris in the midst of summer, I would suggest July over August.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
ira

Hi J,

As noted, Paris doesn't shut down, although I do recall a letter to the editor some years ago from a man complaining that his morning bakery was closed for the whole month and he had to walk an extra block to get his breakfast croissant.

Both July and August are likely to be hot and humid. Plan on indoor activities in the afternoon.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM

It depends on your objectives.

Restaurants, not all, do close in August. For late August/September trips to Paris, I do research summer closure dates to make sure there are no disappointments.

A general question of this nature gets maybe yes maybe no answers.

If you have specific restaurants/stores in mind that close in August, having other choices available will not help you at all. If you do not want to bother doing the research, going in July increases your chance of avoiding closures. If you don't have anything particular in mind, then something else is open and August is ok for that.
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Ok, kerouac...agreed! My first trip in August it was cloudy, windy and very cool the entire time. I wondered if French women ever get to wear summer clothes...then the next trip was quite hot!
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 12:43 PM

I would go at the end of July myself, because hotel rates are often discounted after 7/14 and there are some good deals. I do that myself frequently. It is a myth that August weather is hotter than July, statistically, I think it is the opposite but in any case, it's nothing you could count on one way or the other.

Some restaurants are closed in August, but not that many, it doesn't bother me much at all (I have been there in August). That is more an issue for people who are foodies and have expensive, name restaurants they want to go to. I don't really care that much and don't go to expensive restaurants in any case. Yes, some smaller ones can be closed, also, but there are always others that are not closed. Same for shops, of course none of the big stores are closed, it's only small boutique ones which I rarely shop in anyway. I hate shopping, actually, but that is something I really have not noticed very much (shops being closed) in August, I've noticed more restaurants being closed. I guess I"ve seen some small bakeries or shops like that being closed, but I don't go in bakeries very much anyway.

As for the French being gone on holiday, that isn't going to affect any tourist who doesn't know anyone in particular.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Many hotels in Paris offer incentives such as free breakfast or reduced prices in August. It is an excellent time to go. With hundreds of restaurants in Paris (it´s probably closer to thousands) you will still have a very large selection from which to chose.

The major drawback to visiting in August is that Berthillon is closed:

http://www.berthillon.fr/
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Sarastro, there are 1500 Japanese restaurants in Paris alone, so just imagine the totals for French, Italian, Chinese, Maghrebi....
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 06:31 AM

Like others have said, the incentives to go in August far outweigh the negatives. Sure a few top chefs will go on vacation, but there is still plenty to do.

I have had luck with American Airlines Vacations in securing good hotels for that time(like $200/nt for a 4 star well located hotel w/breakfast)
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Agree with what everyone said above. If you do go in August, consider a place with reliable air-conditioning if the heat bothers you.

After years in Alaska, we can't take the heat and just being able to rest in a cool room for an hour during the day and sleep well at night makes all the difference in the world for us.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 08:58 AM

August IME is a grand time to be in Paris in spite of longer lines at museums and tourist sights - the nice thing is that the usually obnoxious car traffic is way abated and the air actually breathable - Paris' smog can be bad, especially in hot weather but in August things IME are much nicer - and there are even some articificial beaches put up, such as along the Seine where the usually busy main riverside road is closed and covered with sand I believe. And parts of Paris are made pedestrian zones in August as well.