Search

FRANCE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRANCE HELP!

Greetings,

Has anyone female ever traveled France solo before? Any places you recommend or think you would have avoided?

Merci!
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Lots of women travel on their own and visit France. There's hasn't been a place in France that I didn't like/love. What are your interests - France is a large and diverse country.

Why not pick up a guide books or two and read about the country and decide where you want to go based on things you like to see and do such as history, hiking, museums, skiing, water sports, food, etc.

My question to you - why are you going to France (or thinking about going there) if you don't have an idea of what you want to see and do.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

I am actually there on business for three months and will have weekends free to travel. I am interested in history and have looked at many guide books. Lots of reviews and guides tell women not to walk alone after dark but if youre traveling alone I was nervous. This is why I was looking for help.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Where you go on weekends depends on where in France you will be on business as you won't have time to go far from your work base and still have time to see the sights and to explore. Do you know where in France you'll be?

As far as walking alone after dark...depending on the time of year you'll be there it may be dark at 5:00. Can you imagine that French women are shut up in their homes by then? I'm curious about what guide books you have been reading that give this type of crazy advice? I've never read a guide book that has made a blanket statement that women on their own should not walk around in France after dark. And I've read many, many guide books on France.

I think you should embrace the opportunity of being there for 3 months and not worry about things (use common sense and be aware of your surroundings, just like at home) and please choose more informed guide books.

If you want suggestions of towns to visit/sights to see then you need to post again when you know where you'll be based.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM

What Adrienne said.

Yes, I and millions of other women have traveled solo in France. I've probably done it 80 times or so - in cities, towns, villages, hamlets, and deep dark remote countryside. Never have I felt unsafe or had any reason to be so.

Also never read a guidebook that had that warning in it - and I have an enormous collection of guidebooks dating back about 25 years.

Without knowing where you'll be based, it's impossible to give any concrete, useful advice except to say that it seems you're focusing unnecessarily on safety, which isn't an issue. Better you should focus on the best weekend trips from your base, or the best restaurants in/near your town, etc. - stuff that would actually be of practical use of you during your sojourn.