30 days in France - What to do?

Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

30 days in France - What to do?

Yesterday I got the news that I could not go to France in May. I went to bed, feeling a bit down.
So. When I woke up this morning I decided. It will be one month in france in July instead!

Now I need all the input I can get, and all the help I can get to decide on what to do, where to go, what not to do! Any tips or pointers or idéas for my itinerary is more than welcome. Ill be travelling mostly alone, visiting some friends a long the way and hopefully meeting even more friends en route!

Do you have any pointers or idéas for me?

Thanks and bonne soirée!
Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM

Please say what you'd like to spend for hotels. Also, in what cities will you visit friends, do you plan to rent a car or take public transportation, and what are your interests? Wine, museums, WWII, etc.

Finally, do get a couple of guide books and see what calls out to you. It's easier for us to help you fine tune things once we have some basic info.

An entire month makes me jealous!
Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM

Start by picking up a France guidebook and leafing through it, seeing what appeals to you. You can also watch travel videos for free on Hulu (e.g. Rick Steves).

Search the forums for "France" and read trip reports. There have been thousands of posts on France here over the years - plenty to give you ideas.

When you have a list of things you think you'd like to do/see, post more specific questions.
Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM

Museums, food, history, castles, gardens, scenery, beaches, Art - France has everything - depends on what interests you. A month will be wonderful.
Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:32 PM

personally, with the luxury of a month, I'd pick a place or area that offered me most of what I wanted, and rent an apartment for the whole time, using it as a base for exploring.

the obvious one is Paris, but Lyon, Strasbourg, Toulouse, Marseilles, & Nice would all work as well.
Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:46 PM

Will this be your first visit to France? Likely your only one? That might help determine whether you would be better served visiting 6-8 cities/towns/villages for 3-4 days each vs. renting an apartment in one place and making some day trips.

I would suggest limiting the travel segments, especially if by train, so the bulk of your time is spent IN France but not ON trains. Car travel might lead to a different strategy, as you could stop whenever you wanted. However, in July you might have some hotel difficulties if you show up unannounced (and un-reserved).

From experience, I would tell you there is no end to the things you could do staying in Paris and making a few train day-trips. In June we will experience our fourth one-month stay in Paris and still have a month's worth of things yet to do. (We ARE taking the other approach as well--nine days in Arles, Avignon, and Lyon before getting to Paris.)

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong just as long as you don't spend too much of the time getting from one place to another.
Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM

Whether or not you'll rent a car or are going to rely on public transport will make a big difference in where it will be feasible for you to travel. A car will give you the most freedom. Check www.autoeurope.com for rates.
Apr 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM

Hi saidaspen,
We spent a month in France like this:

7 days Paris
3 days Amboise (Loire)
5 days Beynac (Dordogne)
2 Days Caracassone
4 days St. Remy (Provence)
4 days Beaune (Burgundy)
4 days Obernai (Alsace)

We felt like this gave us a good amount of time in each area/region. Not too rushed. Gave us a good overview of the different area in France.

We had a lease car for two months and thought it worked out great. We enjoy traveling to the smaller towns so a car was the way to go for us.