Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

France/Germany Combo Trip?? Would this work??

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - Based on some of the suggestions on this board, I have narrowed down my vacation in September to either the South of France OR a Germany/Austria trip. I would have 10-14 days total.

I have been SO torn on which of these areas to visit, that I am now considering the best of both worlds - maybe a week - 10 days in the South of France, and then hopping over to Germany for some sightseeting in Munich, a day at Oktoberfest and a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle (perhaps more if we have time??). Do you think this would work and is it a good idea? I have found that plane travel from NYC-Nice-Munich-NYC is VERY expensive - about $1700/pp!!

Are there any other less expensive, but still convenient alternatives for getting from Nice to Munich? I believe there may be train service, but I am not sure of the route or how many transfers it would take and how long...

In your opinion, is it worth it to combine Germany/France, or should I just make a decision on one region and go with it...

FYI - The reason I am so torn, is because this will likely be our last trip for a loooong time and we'd really like to get the most out of it...Both areas sound beautiful, but very different and it would be great to get a taste of both. Thanks!!

P.S. I mentioned this in a previous post, but my husband and I are in our early 30's, we love cities with character and charm, scenic quaint villages with windy cobblestone streets, great food and culture, good wine and beer! Ideally, we would be able to travel around by train - I am open to renting a car if absolutely necessary, but would prefer not to.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:57 AM

Lufthansa and Air Berlin fly Nice - München.

www.lufthansa.com
www.airberlin.com

When you check Lufthansa, try a return ticket. It may be cheaper than a one-way ticket. You can throw away the coupon for the return flight.

Book asap.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM

It appears that you are looking at a NYC-Nice-Munich-NYC booking. Try an open-jaw NYC-Nice Munich-NYC booking and then look for a cheap flight between the two cities: http://www.flylc.com/directall-en.asp
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM

It's a bit nuts to go to Oktoberfest when rooms are ridiculously pricey - if they're available at all.

"we love cities with character and charm, scenic quaint villages with windy cobblestone streets, great food and culture, good wine and beer! Ideally, we would be able to travel around by train"

I'd spend the time in the Mosel Valley, where all of this is possible. Look into Trier, Cochem, Burg Eltz (a real medieval castle, not a knock-off 19th century fake like Neuschwanstein.) You'd enjoy a daytrip over to the Rhine as well - Boppard and Bacharach are lovely wine towns.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:33 AM

Nice to Trier: There's a night train that leaves at around 8:30 pm and gets into Luxembourg the next morning; it's a short ride from there to Trier. Or look into Germanwings flights to Cologne and take the train from there.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! A few questions based on the above.

How do I book an open jaw ticket?

Also, if I took the train to Trier, how far is that from Munich? Would I have to drive or is there a connecting train from Trier? I was trying to find out online, but I can't seem to locate this info.

The price is definitely a lot less if you book round trip. In fact, I can get a direct NYC to Nice round trip flight for $650/pp on Delta, but it won't let me even book it as an option for a one way. Strange...My husband and I thought maybe we would just scrap the return flight, if it was cheaper, but we're hoping to find another way...

Also, overall, do you think it's worth the trouble to leave France early and head for Germany just to experience it? Or would you scrap the Germany option because it's inconvenient?

Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:02 AM

If you go to Kayak.com you can do a search on open-jaw tickets. The airlines might even be different. I flew Swissair to Paris (with a transfer in Geneva) and returned from Stockholm to SF via Chicago on SAS and then United. All this was done simply by choosing the itinerary on kayak.com. It's pretty straightforward.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM

"Also, if I took the train to Trier, how far is that from Munich? Would I have to drive or is there a connecting train from Trier?"

Sorry for being unclear. I was suggesting that you experience the Germany you are looking for when you said "...character and charm, scenic quaint villages with windy cobblestone streets..." by going to the Mosel Valley/Trier INSTEAD of Munich, which is a huge, mostly modern city.

You should fly out of Frankfurt, or possibly Cologne, not MUC, if you go to the Mosel Valley.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM

If you like cobblestone streets and little towns, Russ's suggestion of Trier is a great idea and one that I would take.
Trier is lovely and the Mosel Valley is a real delight!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi allday,

i think that that cheap fare is trying to tell you something -go to Nice! September is a great time to be in the SoF, and there is loads to see and do. it will take you at least a day to get to Munich, and a day to get back, which just isn't worth it for two days there.

i would stay in France this time and make Munich and the rest of germany/Austria a separate trip. there some great threads ion what to do in and around Nice - try searching for Stu Dudley's name for lots of help.

regards, ann
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you are on Delta, you can go to the multiple flights section and just book it as ny to nice and munich to ny as your return. This should give you a total price. Between nice and munich, I am with above and suggest Air Berlin or Luftansa. We flew one way with each airline during our trip last year through Germany/Austria.
You could do the south of France and also go to Munich and see Salzburg Austria not far away by train. I liked Munich and Salzburg, but I have not seen any other parts of Germany. We spent most of our time in Austria.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM

There are lots of NONSTOP round-trip flights from NYC or Newark to FRA for around $550 in September on Air France, Delta, Air India. I'd fly into FRA, see the Mosel, then catch a Germanwings flight from Cologne (CGN) to Nice - roundtrip, if it's cheaper and/or more convenient to fly back home from FRA.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
ira

Hi adt,

>How do I book an open jaw ticket?<

Click "multi city" at www.kayal.com, www.mobissimo.com, www.1800flyeurope.com and/or www.flycheapabroad.com/default.aspx
May I suggest that you make it easy on yourself and visit Bavaria and the Salzkammergut this visit? You have at least 35 years to get to France.

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:38 AM

allday:

I can see NYC to NCE airfare, all through September, for 12-13 day trips for under $700 US return. The cheapest have one stop but a lot of them are non-stop.

Where are you looking?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Yes, you're right - I can get a round trip ticket from NYC to Nice for $650/pp - BUT, when I look for a NYC-Nice, then Nice-Munich, then Munich-NYC ticket, it is $1700/pp! I guess that is called an open jaw ticket?? That is where I am having a problem...So I am looking for an affordable way to combine Germany and South of France, if possible...
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM

"I am looking for an affordable way to combine Germany and South of France, if possible..."

Then fly into a German city. RT to Germany is cheaper. Then use a discount carrier to fly between Nice Germany and Nice. (See my post above.) Germanwings flies FRA-NCE but also to MUC if you're set on MUC for some reason. But NYC to Munich won't be non-stop at the cheap prices and MUC is likely to be overloaded due to O'fest.

If you want "character and charm, scenic quaint villages with windy cobblestone streets, great food and culture, good wine and beer!" but you don't think the Mosel area is right for you, you might look into northern Bavaria instead. Bamberg, Rothenburg, and Nuremberg have some of the best old-world atmosphere in Europe. But for this area you might as well make it easier on yourself and fly nonstop into FRA; it's just about the same distance from FRA to this area as it is from MUC.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
yk

<i>BUT, when I look for a NYC-Nice, then Nice-Munich, then Munich-NYC ticket, it is $1700/pp!</i>

That's because of the Nice to Munich flight.

Try the multi-city option with just:
NYC-Munich and
Nice - NYC

You can fly budget airlines to get from Germany to France.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
ira

Hi ad,

>when I look for a NYC-Nice, then Nice-Munich, then Munich-NYC ticket, it is $1700/pp! I guess that is called an open jaw ticket??<

NO, it is not. That is a multi-city itinerary. You are being charged for a flight from Nice --> Munich.

Open Jaw is NYC --> Nice/Munich -->NYC.

Use www.whichbudget.com or airlines or www.voyages-sncf.com for trains.

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM

NCE - MUC can be had any day in Sept for $201 US, but with a connection, like Dusseldorf.

A NCE - MUC return can be had for $141 , non-stop on Lufthansa for a couple of dates - just don't take the return flight. A few more dates are $275 non-stop.

So, if you can plan around the NCE-MUC flight you can do your airfare for about $725 - $775 pp.

Post your dates of travel if they are fixed, or give the range you could accomodate.flexible
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM

I'd forget southern France in connection Germany. Not enough time.

Here is a great circle auto tour of southern Germany and including a bit of Austria and France. I put it together for my brother and I a few years ago. It was his first time in Europe, and I wanted to give him a variety of experiences with emphasis on Germany. We flew into and out of Frankfurt.
Heidelberg-Wurzburg-Rothenburg-Bamberg-Nuremburg-Munich-Salzburg (AU)-Alpenstrasse-Mittenwald-Garmisch-Zugspitz-Neuschwanstein-Lake Constance-Black Forest-Alsace Wine Road (FR)-Strasbourg (FR)

Total days: 9

Here is where I posted some pictures:
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/8205

Have a nice trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -