Search

France & Switzerland Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
France & Switzerland Itinerary

Hi,

My partner and I are organising a 10 day trip with parents through Switzerland and the Rhone Valley and Burgundy regions of France. We fly into Zurich and intend to pick up a rental car for the entire journey.

So far our plans are to spend 1 day in Zurich, 3 days in an area of Switzerland that is en route to Dijon, 3 days in Dijon and 3 days in Lyon.

Our biggest question is where to best spend our time in Switzerland, we have looked at Luzern, Bern and Montreux and wondering if we should base ourselves in one place or spend 1 day/1 night in each....and if we were to stay in just one which would you suggest?

Secondly is there enough in or around Lyon for 3 days, should we spend 4 days in Dijon and 2 in Lyon instead? Any recommendations for wine tasting tours in either region would be appreciated.

And last of all, recommendations on hire car companies. Is it easy enough to pick up in Switzerland and drop off in France? After reading some other posts I'm wondering whether to bother with a car in Switzerland....maybe just pick one up in Dijon....

Many thanks for any input you have
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.and if we were to stay in just one which would you suggest?

The fiary-tale fabled Berner Oberland Area around Interlaken - glacier-girdled Alpine peaks in view from your hotel balcony - lots of gondolas, easy to hard hiking paths, mountain trains, cable cars, etc. pierce the mountains.

The essense of the Alps and to me the best place for the average tourist to go in Switzerland the first time

Swiss cities are nice but this pastoral rugged area is exceptional.

By all means consider the train in Switzerland - cars cannot even penetrate most of the Jungfrau area (Berner Oberland) so you have to pay a steep fee to park them at the town's entrances.

For lots on Swiss trains - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html

A 4-consecutive day Swiss Saverpass is a great deal if you fit all your travels into 4 straight days - covers nearly all transportation from city trams and buses to postal buses, lake boats such as in the Interlaken area and of course trains between all cities and villages (or by bus if trains don't go there)