Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Four price categories: what price ranges would you assign?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Curious

<BR>A little survey. If you had to break down hotels and meals into four categories: budget, moderate, moderately-expensive, and expensive, what price ranges would you, personally, assign to these? <BR><BR>I'm curious to see how our definitions of those categories may differ when it comes to price. Thank you.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Stevie

Curious---I'm curious about why you are curious, or why you need this information. If this is just entertainment for you, I suggest that other posters ignore your request.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:43 PM
BritChick

UK pounds<BR><BR>Hotel<BR>Budget - up to 50<BR>Moderate - 50 - 100<BR>Moderately Expensive - 100 - 150<BR>Expensive - abov 150<BR><BR>And I tend to switch between all four categories regularly, most often the middle two.<BR><BR>Meals<BR>Depends totally on where I am. What I'd pay in London and Venice is sooooo far above what I'd pay in Sorrento or India or much of the US. I just can't categorise. To give a general idea though, our highest budget tends to be about 40uk per head for 3 course dinner, with wine for 1 and softs for the other.<BR><BR>Aren't you going to answer this yourself, curious?<BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:45 PM
britchick

PS Stevie<BR>Actually I am curious too. So often posters mention their hotel was "budget" or their meal was "moderately expensive" and I have absolutely NO idea what that means and therefore wonder about the suitability of that hotel or restaurant for me.<BR><BR>I would find this interesting too.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:50 PM
RnR

Of course, one needs a context if the price estimates are to be sensible - and mine is Prais, plus the more urbanized areas of France:<BR><BR>Inexpensive or budget - probbaly less than 100 Euros - possibly 80-90 or slightly below, if you are willing to accept some disadvantages in terms of location, space, style and amenities.<BR><BR>Moderate - 125-165 E before taxes, with something to eat in the morning a bonus.<BR><BR>Mod-exp. - 225 E or higher, up to 325 E per night, sans taxes.<BR><BR>Expensive - 400 and on up, and way up, when you consider that a so-called five star starts about 500-1,000, depending on the suite and location.<BR><BR>Of course, it's all very tied to what one is used to paying. I try to stay under 175, if possible. But in Italy, e.g., Venice, I'd think my numbers ought to be upped by 25-50%.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:52 PM
dean

For meals (Coperti, Antipasti, Primi, Secondo, Minerale, no wine)<BR><BR>In a bigger city like Venezia, Roma, Modena Pisa or Venezia:<BR><BR>Budget - $40 a couple food only<BR>Moderate - $75<BR>Moderately expensive - $150<BR>Expensive - over<BR><BR>In the country side or small towns:<BR><BR>Budget - $25 a couple food only<BR>Moderate - $50<BR>Moderately expensive - $100<BR>Expensive - over<BR><BR>I leave out wine as that is a personal choice. I typically buy a bottle for about $15 to 20.00 a bottle or something over $50.00 if they have a great list with exceptional wines at good prices. I never buy a great bottle for too much money. and on a weel priced wine list a bottle for $70.00 can be a great value.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Stevie

OK, I didn't mean to be nasty, but just because some small group of people will respond to this kind of inquiry doesn't mean that you can attach the very same definitions to some other person's opinion. And as already evident in the responses so far, the disparity in perceptions is so broad as to make the information meaningless.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Curious

Stevie, two can play this game. I'm curious about why you are curious about why I am curious. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Curious

Stevie, thank your for your last post. <BR><BR>I stated why I was curious in my first post. I am interested to see how our definitions of those categories may differ. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer. It is merely a little survey.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Curiouser and furiouser

Some people might suspect that "Curious" is a lazy journalist asking other to do the work, but this is one of those things that is so much a matter of impression that it's not like using posters' lists of restaurants and printing them as if the reporter had actually been there.<BR><BR>Frankly, I'd just as soon get rid of the descriptive categories and just use something like A, B, C, D, etc. because for some, "budget" would mean very inexpensive hosteling or camping while for others it could mean $100 or 100E/night (see above). Similarly, "moderately expensive" for me is around $200 because that's the upper end of what I can afford, but my first-class-only brother considers $200. the minimum he'd ever pay anywhere.<BR><BR>Why not 50-100E, 100-150E, 150-200E, etc. and just assign letter-grades, or even colors!!!! (75E is "yellow", 500E is "royal purple")!

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Curious

<BR>Maybe I should say it again: the whole point of this little survey is to see how people's definitions of commonly used categories like "budget" or "expensive" differ. <BR><BR>Lazy journalist... HaHa! In my dreams. Is it just me, or is the mistrust and paranoia level a bit high on this forum?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:59 PM
observer

Maybe C & F is a journalist (what a laugh - some people here have real fantsies about the "prestige" of this forum - doesn't a certain someone have a daughter who writes?) - or more likely a possibility, a wanna be travel writer who didn't think of this angle in the first place for an article.<BR><BR>It's called projection.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

For a complete breakdown on a travel budget by categories, go to www.slowtrav.com and find my article named " travel budget".

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:46 PM
clairobscur

Budget : <BR><BR>Hotel : under 20 US $/night<BR>Restaurant : under 15 $/meal<BR><BR>Moderate :<BR><BR>Hotel : 20-40 $/night<BR>Restaurant : 15-30 $/meal<BR><BR>Moderatly expensive :<BR><BR>Hotel : 40-60 $/night<BR>Restaurant : 30-60 $/meal<BR><BR>Expensive :<BR><BR>Hotel : above 60 $/night<BR>Restaurant : above 60 $/meal<BR><BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Annie

Hi,<BR>In US Dollars (hotels),<BR>Budget - Under 100<BR>Moderate - 100 to 170<BR>Moderately Expensive - 250 to 380<BR>Expensive - 450 and up<BR><BR>I just like to add that I don't understand why people think Italy is so expensive. France is definitely a lot more expensive. I was in Italy last summer and in Rome I payed 95 dollars a night for a 3 star hotel with excellent breakfast Buffet, near spanish steps. <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 10:17 PM
clairobscur

Budget : <BR><BR>Hotel : under 20 US $/night<BR>Restaurant : under 15 $/meal<BR><BR>Moderate :<BR><BR>Hotel : 20-40 $/night<BR>Restaurant : 15-30 $/meal<BR><BR>Moderatly expensive :<BR><BR>Hotel : 40-60 $/night<BR>Restaurant : 30-60 $/meal<BR><BR>Expensive :<BR><BR>Hotel : above 60 $/night<BR>Restaurant : above 60 $/meal<BR><BR>