Four and half days in Madrid and area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a solo traveler. I will arrive in Madrid early afternoon of Saturday, December 26 and will fly home on 31 December. I know I want to visit the Prado, Queen Sofia Art Center, Royal Palace, Mercado San Miguel as well as Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol for people watching. Recommendations for other Madrid sites to consider?

I would also like to visit Toledo and perhaps Segovia or one other smaller city but am uncertain whether to take a tour from Madrid to see them or simply take the train and go on my own or try to meet a local guide once there. Also, should I consider someplace other than Toledo and Segovia? Do I have enough time for 2 side trips?

It seems like I should have plenty of time to do all or most of this but I'm not sure of an itinerary so your advice will be welcome. Thank you.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 06:24 PM

Toledo and Segovia will each take a day. It could be too cold for people watching, but if is it warm, you can watch the paseo.

Spaniards often start the evening with the el paseo.

In Madrid, would you say it would start between 6 and & PM?
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 08:33 PM

You'll be in Madrid for the Christmas season, relax and enjoy the city.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 09:04 PM
kja

IMO, as another solo traveler, you will not have time for all the things on your wish list. I could be wrong! But right or wrong, only YOU can decide what you want to do in and around Madrid. I recommend that you get some good guidebooks or spend some time with a few in your local library (for this area, I recommend the Rough Guide and Michelin Green Guide), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation and see how things fit together.

There is absolutely NO need to take a guided tour to either Toledo or Segovia, and absolutely NO need to hire a guide to see either. These places are extremely easy to visit on your own, and if you have a decent guidebook, or even just pick up some information at the local tourist office, you will have the information you need to appreciate what you are seeing. Of course, if you PREFER to hire a guide, go for it.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 09:36 PM

You also need to understand that the days will be short, limiting daytime activities. I believe that 22 December is the shortest day of the year. You do have enough time to visit Toledo and Segovia, but it will be dark by mid afternoon, so you will need to leave by mid morning. You should be able to join a group at the tourist off, but, depending on the day, the tour may only be in Spanish.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 01:40 AM

On December 26th the powerful flamenco dancers Belén López and Kelian Jimenez perform in Casa Patas at both 9pm and midnight. Casa Patas has arguably been the finest tablao in Spain in recent years: http://www.casapatas.com/

Belén Lopez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHLRmL347U
Kelian Jimenez: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwBCoUSWdM
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 01:49 AM

I find El Escorial very impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Escorial

Many tour companies offer bus tours to El Escorial, often combined with a tour to Toledo. I highly recommend this combo tour.

E.g. this one (but in every hotel you will find flyers of tour operators):

https://www.getyourguide.com/madrid-...scorial-t1619/
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 03:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Consider Siguenza.

Zaragoza would probably require an overnight stay.

Mark
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 07:40 AM

Fast train from Madrid to Zaragoza takes an hour.
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 06:50 PM
kja

Combining El Escorial and Toledo would have made me very unhappy! I was glad to spend 2 full days in Toledo. I visited El Escorial on an afternoon tour that also included the Valley of the Fallen, and that worked well for me. But as already stated, only you can decide what you want to see with your limited time in the area. Good luck!
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 07:46 PM
CGS

In Madrid, you may also want to consider the Thyssen Museum and Retiro Park (depending on the weather). We were just in Madrid for 4 and 1/2 days. We did all the things you mention plus the Thyssen, Retiro, Temple of Debod, Goya chapel and a day trip to Toledo. I think you have plenty of time. Enjoy!
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 07:52 PM
kja

FWIW, the things CGS describes took me 6.5 days -- proving, once again, that it really depends on YOUR interests and pace. YOUR call!
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 11:02 AM

Purchase your Prado tickets ahead of time, unless you want to wait until 6:00 pm and get in free during the week, or 5:00 pm on Sunday, the 27th.

The Thyssen is free on Monday from noon to 4:00 pm (Permanent Collection).

The Museo Sorolla has a special "Arte de la luz" beginning the 14th.
http://museosorolla.mcu.es/pdf/diciembre_2015.pdf

The Palacio de Cristal, in Retiro Park, is always worth a visit, and is free.
http://www.museoreinasofia.es/en/exhibitions/danh-vo

For an easy side-trip, you might want to consider a visit to the medieval fortified city of Cuenca. It has Spain's first Gothic cathedral, and the famous "casas colgadas", the hanging houses of Cuenca. You can have lunch at El Secreto (www.elsecretocuenca.com) or Las Rejas (www.manueldelaosa.com).
Old Dec 10th, 2015, 11:26 AM
CGS

The Reina Sofia also has free hours in the evening, as does the Palace. When we were there in November, we encountered no lines for the free hours for the museums, but the lines for the free hours for the Palace were extremely long! We opted to pay and go right in.

We wanted to go to Cuenca! I wish we'd had time.