Fountains at Versailles

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:23 PM
Michele

Fountains at Versailles

I have read somewhere that the fountains at Versaille are only turned on twice on Sunday's and/or only twice each day, is this true? Does anyone know why they would not be on constantly? Especially in the spring and summer? We would really like to go and have the fountains be on. I have also read on this site that others have gone and the fountains were off! Is there some schedule or reason about the fountains on/off times?
Please advise. Thanks again!
Michele

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:49 PM
elaine

This is the latest info I have on the Fountains: Every Sunday, May-October
garden's fountains are on (from 11:15 to 11:35, and from 15:30 to 17:00, 25F garden
admission on these days only).

As to why they are not on constantly, I can only guess that a. they waste too much water or b. they are expensive to run or c. the powers that be want to keep them "special" and not an everyday
occurence.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 12:49 PM
elaine

This is the latest info I have on the Fountains: Every Sunday, May-October
garden's fountains are on (from 11:15 to 11:35, and from 15:30 to 17:00, 25F garden
admission on these days only).

As to why they are not on constantly, I can only guess that a.they waste too much water or b.they are expensive to run or c.the powers that be want to keep them "special" and not an everyday
occurence.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:10 PM
gregoire

ask my mum at [email protected] : She knows/lives close enough to tell you. If you're nice enough with her, she might propose to show you the hidden stuffs.
hint : explain where you got her adress, she doesn't know about forums.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 07:03 PM
Mick Shepard

The pipes used for the fountains are the one's that were installed when they original built the fountains. Because of this, they are very fragile and are used on a limited basis.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 09:41 AM
just a thought

would seem the pressure surge of turning them on would be worse than constant pressure...?

but it doesn't make me feel as special as that the fountains were turned off just for me on the 4th of July

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:03 PM
MMEDRAND

VERSAILLES HAS AN AMAZING COMPUTER SITE WITH 360 DEGREE VIEWS, ETC., AS WELL AS A COMPLETE LISTING OF ACTIVITIES, TIMES, ETC. WE WERE THERE TWICE LAST SEPTEMBER. DURING THE SUMMER THEY HAVE FETES DE NUIT DE VERSAILLES WHERE THEY RE-ENACT THE HISTORY OF VERSAILLES AND THE 3 LOUIS KINGS. IT IS DONE WITH LOTS OF INCREDIBLE FIREWORKS, LIGHTSHOW, AND ACTORS/ACTRESSES DRESSED IN PERIOD CUSTOMS. THE ONLY DRAWBACK - IT IS NARRATED IN FRENCH. IT IS ABOUT 2 HOURS LONG AND WE WERE SO HAPPY THAT WE GOT TO SEE IT. OF COURSE, WE WENT BACK DURING THE DAY TO HAVE THE REGULAR TOUR. ENJOY

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 12:01 PM
Eileen

Just returned from Paris ... we were at Versailles on Sun 4/18 and got there in time for the morning fountain / music exhibition ... it was wonderful!