Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

found old French francs....and other things

Mar 6th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

We were looking for something else and found an envelope..in the envelope are French franc bills..each say 100 and coins.

Also found Japanese,English and German bills.. So...do I bring all this with me to France or is it worthless now that the euro is here. All this is from our trips over 30 years ago. Need advice.
Mar 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM
ira

Hi lois,

You can change your French bills to Euros at any branch of the Banque de France. Maybe even the coins.

They won't take your other money.
Mar 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Then bills can be exchanged at one of the "Banque de France" offices. The coins can't be anymore (since a couple weeks ago).
Mar 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM

They won't take coins. You must go to Banque de France ONLY.
I glued my francs on a wooden frame for my dog's photo.
Mar 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...so what do I do with the other money (not the French).....I guess I could paper the wall with it.

Cig I like your idea of putting the coins in a frame. In fact I just bought a frame for our dog pictures.
All dogs gone now...sigh!
Mar 6th, 2005, 03:49 PM

I glue mine on the outside of the wooden frame. You can do that with the other coins or cover a box, or have a bracelet made for a grandchild or friendor pu them under glass like a tray or coffee table.
Mar 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM

>>Thanks...so what do I do with the other money (not the French).....I guess I could paper the wall with it.<<

The English pound is still legal tender in Great Britain, so I'd hang onto those until a visit to the UK or exchange them for dollars or euros as you prefer. The Deutschmarks can be exchanged for euros at the German central bank until 2012, just like francs at the Banque de France, I think. I have no idea what has happened to the Japanese yen in the last 30 years, but presumably you could also exchange those bills for dollars or euros.

You might want to figure out how much money you have there before deciding to use it for decorative purposes.
Mar 6th, 2005, 03:56 PM

If the money for england is a fair amount you could sell it to someone who is going. One year when I went to Paris, I bought $15 worth of francs from one of my customers.
Mar 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM

The older style English banknotes were withdrawn from circulation between 2001-2003. They can probably still be exchanged for new ones at a bank, but current bills must have the silver (mylar) thread and seal on them in order to be legal tender for spending.