Search

Forum thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forum thoughts

I am only a casual poster, but it seems that there could be some constructive changes/improvements in the forum's structure to improve its functionality. For example, wouldn't an edit/delete feature be good, and who would prefer the groupings to be more geographically categorized? I have seen several posts whose title was less than descriptive because the poster had clicked on perhaps Ireland under the impression that the categories were thus specific. I certainly would prefer clicking on my country of interest rather than scrolling through hundreds of unrelated posts, even though the search function can at times help with screening. Does anyone else have other suggestions that Fodor's could consider? I remember Robespierre had some well stated suggestions to eliminate a specific aggravation ealier.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Laidback, there have been so many suggestions as to how Fodor's could improve their website but the powers to be evidently do not think the various suggestions are worthy of their consideration.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM

You might get more response to this from Fodor's editors if you posted it under "News and Announcements" or sent it to them at [email protected].
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Sorry: Make that [email protected].
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Been kicked around more times than we can probably count . . .

If it's important to you, do what Eloise suggests.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

I don't attach a great deal of importance to this issue; apparently it has been voluminously discussed previously and the editors have bigger fish to fry.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM

But what are those bigger fish? Are there editors or is there an editor that is specific to the forums? If so, certainly improving the site for users would, it seems, be a bigger fish than say, monitoring specific threads or users. Well, to me, anyway.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM
amaclise

I kind of like the broad categories because you see posts on a lot of different areas which remind you, "Oh yea! I've been there too!"

I think searching for narrower locales can be done pretty well with the search feature.

MHO

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Just because the powers that be don't take every suggestion made around here - as well they shouldn't - doesn't mean they don't consider them. People shouldn't be so presumptuous.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM

There is in fact an edit/delete function. When you type a reply in post a reply, you have the option to preview the reply. There you can either edit, delete or post.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM

The powers that be don't enact common sense solutions from people who use the site everyday?

I'm shocked, just shocked to the core.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM
rex

It was tried briefly - - segregating the forum into separate foum pages, by country. "We" revolted, overwhelmingly, in favor of the common melting pot of all questions for all (Europe) destinations... touts melangées...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I will say that I do enjoy fodor's easy style format---I looked at other travel websites that follow a more true to style bulletin board form...this one is definately one of the most easiest and least complex to maneuver.

I do think it would be good if a poster could delete their own postings, especially in those times when perhaps the topic has drastically changed or when the info is no longer relevant.

Or if it could have features similar to craigslist.......
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Some months ago, I became encouraged that Fodor's was planning to listen to suggestions from the user community when their director of interactive media began posting here and soliciting our opinions on matters such as the ones enumerated by Laidback.

The outcome of that brief exchange of ideas was so very contrary to the spirit of the suggestions made, as well as to that of the community as a whole, that I have ceased to hope for any kind of improvement from that quarter, and I have come to believe that this message board thrives the most when it is ignored by its publisher.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Hear, hear, Nikki! Just what I was thinking! Still, the ability to edit one's posts after hitting the post button is a dream of mine, with my sticky kyboard still acting up and leaving embarrassing typos.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Considering that the bannings seem to have begun again (along with cut-off threads, etc.), I couldn't agree with you more, Nikki.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM

This is the absolute BEST travel forum, and there are alot of happy people here. Change is difficult when you're #1.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM

As long as users categorize their posts under a specific country then I think that this is a very user friendly and well done website.

When I check the site, I first just go to general Europe and peruse, then search Spain, then for a final, I click on my name and read the posts that come up to see if they answer a question of mine or clarify anything for me. If I could go just to Spain from the start, I would miss a lot of interesting information.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM

laclaire, did you receive your passport with the visa yet? I have been thinking of you. If not, I hope it arrives Monday.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:50 PM

LoveItaly- no, and when I called 5 minutes before closing it had not arrived to the office. So. . . I am going to have to change my plans and arrive later, but everyone here in Dallas seems pretty happy about it. I am extending a lot of my parties now, so starting this Sunday, some of my posts might have that "I am hungover" feel to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -