Forced to go to Krakow

Search

Forced to go to Krakow

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced to go to Krakow

My boy has a tournament in wisla Poland, what is one to do in and around Wisla, is it practical to take a trip to Italy or greece or spain the first week of the two week vacation. I apologize for my stereotyping but I honestly never considered eastern europe for a vacation, if I'm wrong tell me where to visit!!! Budgets no problem, I will be renting a car too!
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Krakow is a beautiful, 750 years old town. And a lively university town, too, with tens of thousands of students. Poland has plenty to offer for two weeks.

If the boy wants to combine it with something else, both Prague and Bratislava (Slovakia) are quite near, and both of those are beautiful, too.
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:43 AM

http://www.krakow.pl/en/
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Whoa!!! The areas about Wisła abound with history and natural attractions. You could visit Wrocław for starters and then Opole and Katowice and Kraków. Częstochowa is not far either. Poland is not Eastern Europe. Try a book store and read a Polish guide book. The Vistula or Wisła begins nearby. You could drive along it, like a trip beside the Mississippi. Motels and such are plentiful.
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:45 AM

This might be a better one, there is some malfunctions on the first one:

http://www.cracow.tourism.pl/en/p_route1.php
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Chris:

Aside from all the attributes of Krakow, a car for day trips will open your eyes to the beauties of Poland, Slovakia and Czech Rep....as a long-time independent Eastern Europe traveler I can recommend staying in Krakow as a base and taking the first week to drive and see:

The beautiful High Tatra mountains just south of Krakow, hiking trails, rapids, lovely little resort towns. You could stay a night or two at the 19th century grand dame (The Grand Hotel) in the midst of Stary Smokovec(h))1-2 nights, then drive to Bratislava (Vienna is just across the Danube)(2 nights), then on to Prague (2-3 nights) which is a must in this region...including driving time, some distances are short, others a bit longer, 7 days would do it fine...then back to Krakow for your son's tournament (soccer?). There's plenty to experience in and around Krakow for that week.

During tournament week, take the bus or drive to Auschwitz (35 miles) for at least a half day, a haunting testimony of humankind's lowest ebb. You and your son will never forget this, even though many parts of the world today have literally forgotten.

I can recommend lodgings in Bratslava/Vienna and Prague if you wish...and send you some pre-digital scanned photos of each place mentioned. Just write me.

Stu T. [email protected]

Old May 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Krakow is definitely worth seeing. There's an article about Krakow in today's NYTimes:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/05/27...tml?ref=travel

Unfortunately, the article's link to its more general Krakow travel guide isn't working.
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I wish I was forced to go to Krakow!! I was there in 2001 and had a lovely time. Enjoy your trip.
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM

We are going to Krakow this summer, and have only four nights. I wish we had more, and even more time to spend in Poland. Based on everything I've read, I can't wait to go!

Hope you will get excited, too!
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I was in Krakow this April. It's a very pretty city, and very easy to get around. You'll enjoy it!
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Whata about a side trip to Croatia is this practical
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:17 PM

No, it is not practical. Believe it, there is plenty in Poland and nearby.
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM

OK, I just saw your other question. You want a beach holiday! So why not just say it?

I just would not waste a week lying in the sand if I have only two weeks and all the great cities nearby:. But if you want beach, there are beaches in Poland, too. The whole northern coast. Plus there is a nice Hanseatic Gdansk there. And if you want A LOT of sand, the Curonian spit in Lithuania is a good choice. And medieval Vilnius is in UNESCO´s World Heritage list.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:07 AM

I went to Cracow only a couple of months ago and I have already booked another trip for this summer. I spent a week there and managed to see only a fraction of things I wanted to see. I stayed in a self-catering apartment called iloveKrakow. The owners have a small but nice website, which is full of information about what to see in Cracow and around it. Have a look at their website at http://www.ilovekrakow.co.uk/attractions.html for some ideas.

When in Cracow I suggest you visit the Old Jewish Quarter (called Kazimierz&quot, which I my opinion is the most interesting part of Cracow. Another place not to be missed is Skalka church, which is just across the road from where I stayed. For eating out try to avoid the Old Town Square area. The food is OK, but the prices are VERY high. Again, the Jewish Quarter is a much better place for eating out. The restaurants are equally good, but the prices much more reasonable. During my first visit to Crakow I did not manage to travel beyond the city (with the exception of the Salt Mine - this one is NOT to be missed!) so in summer I want to visit Auschwitz and go to Zakopane, which is said to be really beautiful.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM

For <b>The City of Krakow Official Accommodation Booking System</b> visit http://www.krakow-tourism.com website. On-line, charge free booking of hotels, hostels, apartments, luxury hotels in Krakow, Poland. Only legally managed accommodation facilities.