Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For those who have traveled solo on their birthday

Sep 29th, 2002, 09:46 AM
forever young

Did you let the day slip by unnoticed? Or did the hotel see your passport and do anything special? Did you tell the waiters at restaurants and did they bring you anything special? I know that traveling is a wonderful way to spend a birthday, but I'm thinking it will be kind of strange to be alone.

Sep 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
igk

Tell everyone you meet that it's your birthday. Don't expect people to figure it out on their own. You will be pleasantly surprised how nicely people will treat you. A good waiter will figure out immediately that doing something extra will generate a better tip and smiles all around. Tell shopkeepers it's your birthday and maybe they'll lower a price on something. Treat yourself well. When you come home tell everyone what a great birthday you had and how many people in a foreign land helped you celebrate it.

Sep 29th, 2002, 10:05 AM
s

Folks,

Once I reserved a “birthday special” at the 5-star Hotel Sacher in Salzburg. They gave me a small suite (**two** bathrooms), huge windows with river views, dinner on the first night, private tour of the city the next day, and a whole Sacher Torte for me to savor over the course of the week. I recommend it highly if they still offer it (I booked through www.lhw.com).

s

Sep 29th, 2002, 10:06 AM
xxx

It's just another day. Be thankful that you're living, the alternative is sleeping peacefully through eternity.

No one is paying attention to the date on your passport. If any date that someone would be concerned about, its the expiration date.

You celebrate children's birthdays. After you reach 30, who really cares, its just another number until you're eligible to collect Social Security.

If you want to celebrate your birthday, treat yourself to something special, but don't expect special treatment from strangers. Just expect them to be gracious.

Sep 29th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Julie

I was traveling alone on a business trip several years ago to Korea during my birthday, and was staying at the Seoul Hilton. I guess they had seen my date of birth on the form that I filled out when I registered, because when I returned to my room that evening, there was a small birthday cake on the table. I had almost forgotten that it was my birthday, so it was a nice surprise and a thoughtful gesture from the hotel.

Sep 29th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Mara

I was in the French Riviera for my birthday last year (November). I slept in and ordered breakfast in my room. That was my special treat to me - I was happy to be on my own. The person who did notice it was the gentleman who checked me in at JFK a couple of days earlier - he wished me a happy birthday!

Sep 29th, 2002, 10:53 AM
mpprh

Hi

Having travelled on business for 25 yrs, birthdays alone are pretty normal.

Save the celebration until you get back................ even better celebrate before you leave !

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com/

Sep 29th, 2002, 11:11 AM
mark

Two years ago for my birthday I was in Barcelona with a friend. Being in Barcelona was enough to celebrate - even my friend was kinda nonplussed about "my day" - which was fine. I'm getting a bit too old to be telling people "it's my birthday". Last October I wanted to get away but work was crazy after 9/11 so I went to a very nice restaurant here in NYC, alone. I couldn't ask my friends to shell out that much money and I'm in no position to treat a group of friends to this specific restaurant. A quiet dinner - no birthday seranades by the waitstaff, that would have been way too tragic. This October I'm off to Prague - alone. I prefer traveling solo. I'll probably arrange a private tour of art nouveau / secession architecture and dinner at Bellevue or Zatis but the only one who will know it's my day is me.

Sep 29th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Christina

I've been alone on my birthday several times when traveling. I wouldn't tell waiters in restaurants it was my birthday because that seems like you are asking them to give you something free if you do that, and I don't expect or want anything from restaurants like that. If I want something special, I order it and pay for it myself, and usually I do plan a nice dinner in a restaurant that night and perhaps a special event (concert or ballet). I'm a private person and wouldn't go around telling strangers things like that, though (waiters or shopkeepers), especially if the goal was to get a discount or something free.

Birthdays aren't that big a deal to me, never have been. I suppose that comes from my upbringing, my parents never made a big deal out of them, either -- just cards and a cake, perhaps a small gift, only a small family event even as a child, so they aren't something I dwell on as an adult, either.

Sep 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
forties

Last year we were staying in the Ritz in Paris when my partner had his birthday. I wasn't feeling very well that day and we decided to order lunch in the room. To our surprise, the lunch came with a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake, with a birthday card signed by the manager. And none of us had talked about his birthday.
But the Ritz has a service that I saw nowhere in the world.

Sep 29th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Kid

I tell everyone that I meet that it is my birthday Always have, sometimes they will just smile and say Happy Birthday, sometimes something really special happens.
Hotels give me upgrades, restaurants give me free desserts with candles, one restaurant in NYC the waiters all gathered around and sang to me in Italian!
It cheers the day. Go ahead, do it! Be a kid!

Sep 29th, 2002, 02:16 PM
rquirk

Im of to Rekjavik for my 35th ( half milestone ) dont expect to tell people its my birthday .. dont expect anyone would give a monkeys. I am however going to spend it the way I want to. Friends offered to come but they tore such different ways on my 34th in Prague that I dont even want them there. My advice is to go out, enjoy yourself, dont necessarily tell people its your birthday and then consider why you chose to be alone. If I get drunk on my birthday I can lie in ( only 7 hours of sun anyway ) and little culture vultures wont get me out of bed to see a lump of important moss on some rocky outcrop. It IS strange to be alone but take the time for some introversion and future planning. Dont let some receptionist, waiter, bartender who wouldnt know you from Adam build your day for you.

Sep 29th, 2002, 02:30 PM
mark

this is more a technicality b-day question: I'm celebrating my 39th this October - technically I'm celebrating 39 years of life but am starting my 40th year of life. I believe in China the day you're born is considered your 1st birthday. Any thoughts or comments?

Sep 29th, 2002, 02:52 PM
forever young

Wow, lots of thoughtful - and differing - responses! I guess birthdays are like... opinions, everybody has one : ) Thanks everyone.

Sep 29th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Kathleen

After having my birthday forgotten or missed by family & friends for several years, I decided to be sure to be GONE to someplace special on that day! A couple years ago I was in Ireland, and mentioned to the hostess I wanted to go riding on a particular day because it was my birthday. Another guest over heard me, and bought a small pottery pitcher for me as a surprise. And at dinner that night we had a small birthday cake. Definitely one of my best days! And this year I celebrated in Paris~though didn't tell anyone. It was special enough just to be in Paris!

Sep 29th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Jen

I'm leaving solo from the west coast to Europe the morning of my birthday. When I arrive, it will be the next day. I'm considering mentioning this before boarding in hopes that someone might want to give me a little birthday treat..like a first class seat!

Sep 29th, 2002, 05:47 PM
mimi taylor

Kathleen:Friends are gods apology for friends....or...being in some families is like serving time for a crime you didn't commit. That's why I prefer to travel alone when possible.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:13 PM
David

Hmmm. Six billion people or so in the world divided by 365 days, 366 on a leap year, and only if you keep the western world's calendar. That means you get to share your “special” day with 16 million or so people!

Gee, not so special is it really? My Mom taught me many things in life, one of them was that you are only special to you and a few others. Take your birthday and enjoy it, but don't expect the other 16 million people who have their birthday on the same day as you to go out of their way for you or the rest of the 6 billion people in the world either.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Lee

<<Friends are gods apology for friends>>

Sorry, don't get it.

Sep 29th, 2002, 06:33 PM
anon

Gee - I hope no one makes the mistake of inviting David to their birthday party...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO