Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For those of you wondering about jeans in Paris

Feb 17th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

I just got back from 10 days in France. I spent four days in Provence and 6 days in Paris. I have gone to Paris every year in Feb for the last 7 years and I was truly suprised at the number of blue jeans I saw this year.
We were in museums, bistros, brasseries, restaurants, people watching from Cafe De Flore in Saint-Germain, shopping at Hermes and BHV. I saw blue jeans of every style and with every type of shoe. Tennis shoes, high heels and cowboy boots.
(Angelina and Brad were we in Paris the same week we were there and they both wore jeans.)
I certainly don't recommend the look for Paris but it is definitely there and you won't stand out if you decide to go that route. I really hate to see it happen because just like "casual Friday" everyone soon looks like they are going to the car wash on Sun afternoon.

As usual, we had a wonderful time in Paris.
The sights, the sounds and of course The Food are such a highlight of our vacation time spent there.
If Paris is on your list for this year enjoy.
1jan1
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Thanks! I'm going next month and intend on wearing jeans

How was the weather? Was it really cold? I have this fear that it will be terribly cold and I won't have fun (I'm from Southern California and it doesn't get too cold here ).
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM

No offense, but I really never thought many people still worried about wearing jeans in Paris.
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:10 AM

You were shopping in Hermes and BHV and saw jeans...obviously "the look for Paris" has changed. Now, the question sems to be, can people actually peer beyond "the look" or is that as far as they ever really get?
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I wear a lot of jeans, but the trend of wearing jeans for evening and parties, with a fancy top or jacket, is getting a bit tired. I was at a party recently, where more than half the women were wearing jeans; it has just become too boring. A dress is much nicer in the evening.
But I would always wear jeans for traveling, sighseeing, shopping.
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

The weather was on the cool side. I usually wore my mid-calf all-weather coat (without lining)and a scarf. Unless I knew I was going to be inside Galaries Lafayette, etc (the stores are unbelievably hot) I also wore my silk long underware. I find that I am most comfortable with the silk underlayer and a v-nect cashmere type sweater. Rarely needed to put my gloves or hat on.
Have a wonderful time.
1jan1
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Hey, if it's good enough for Brangelina....!!!

People worry about the dumbest things......jeans (?!). For one thing, they are bulky to pack, if they get wet/dirty, they are a pain to get clean. Those are the ONLY reasons I never take jeans on my trips anywhere. Whether they are fashionable/touristy or not, I could give a darn about that....and by the way, I think most smart travelers don't either....which leads me to note that it seems pretty dull to me that after spending some time in such wonderful destination(s), the bulk of the poster's remarks are about....jeans. YIKES!
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

I agree! I don't want to wear the heavy, uncomfortable jeans either. I only posted this thought because it seems like everytime I get on Fodors I see questions about wearing jeans in Paris. Just thought I would try to answser that question for those that are wondering about it. Not trying to make any grand statement - just passing on current information for those that are interested.
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Forget the jeans, the more important question is, did you actually SEE Brad and Angelina?? Live and in person?? ;-)
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM

do you really care about them?
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I'm wondering why I read this post. I'm wondering why other people read this post. I thought the jeans question had been answered long, long ago.

There are jeans and there are jeans and I'll wager A's & B's weren't Old Navy. But who really cares? Wear whatever you want to wear.
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Wow! This used to be such a fun forum. Everyone seems so angry.
1jan1
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Those "jeans" you see all of the place probably cost as much as any dressy outfit!
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Hi 1jan1,

Sorry if you thought I was angry, I'm not. I was just "thinking" out loud. There have been so many posts about what to wear in Paris that I was "wondering" why I was reading another one, especially about jeans, which are worn everywhere.

That being said, there may be people who still want to know about jeans in Paris.

I'm glad that you had a good time in Paris and sorry if I offended you.
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM

It definitely seems that after paying the comic price of $200+ for a pair of jeans, many people are feeling like they can wear them almost anywhere.

I will admit I have picked up a few pair of Diesel and 7 jeans at Marshalls and TJ Maxx (after clawing my way past other cheap trendoids on a budget) and they look pretty damn good. Gotta love TJ Maxx -- bought Miss Sixty Jeans for 10 bucks and I saw the same pair for $200 at a boutique that didn't know the meaning of "Past Season" and "Clearance".
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Observation: Jeans are practical wear for gardening and similar pursuits. Jeans are also common 'streetwear'. Levi Strauss never intended them to be worn in polite social engagements. If you as a tourist are trying to emulate a savvy Parisian...it won't be wearing jeans!
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

"There are jeans and there are jeans"
and they are worn all over Paris.

And not everyone wears black. Relax and wear what you want as long as it's neat and clean. Your manners get you further than any Chanel suit or jeans of any price. It was still raining when I left on Sunday(in my jeans )
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Ok, cant resist; I have to append my 2 cents on jeans....God, love them. But, I do agree that they are heavy to pack and a pain to get clean while traveling...what is the "Option B" then?

I am going to Europe next week. It is still freezing there....so a nice pair of trousers or kakis are out...Sweat pants? CAN Paris handle American sweat pants?! Lets start a new trend.

But seriously, what is your alternative to jeans in cold weather?
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I must say that it kind of bummed me out to be dining on a 12 course tasting menu at Alinea recently, and have a woman seated near-by wearing jeans and a puffy jacket (she must have had to insist on not checking the puffy coat). I mean, maybe she regularly spends more than $150 on 12 course meals but hey, this is a special occasion for me and is a rare opportunity to dress up a little. I was surprised by my own response since I generally identify as an irreverent "who cares what the institution wants" kind of person. But I didn't even want her in my peripheral field of sight since she was visually disrupting the fantasy for me.
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Next time you should reserve the entire restaurant and hire actors to dress the way you want in order to maintain that fantasy. If that's too expensive, then you'll just have to settle for being tolerant instead.

Let's see, today I saw people wearing wearing hmm, I can't seem to remember what they were wearing. I remember the people, but it's hard to remember their clothing. I guess I have my priorities mixed up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO