For Old Timers on Fodors

Search

For Old Timers on Fodors

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Old Timers on Fodors

I'm beginning to post on fodors again after severlel months of staying away. I have been posting for several years and find that the questions are the same or similar year after year. Do other posters feel the same, what happened to those who posted several years ago and were interesting travelers? The past couple of years I've traveled to Mid east and have decreased posting here or responding. Do others feel the same or am I becoming a crotchety old man.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Nope. You're right. Partly it's because of the blessed Lounge; and partly (I just realised it's TEN YEARS since I started posting here); well partly becuase in 10 years one has seen it all...

But they do discourage humour where we're meant to be being seriousabouttravel
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:13 PM
LJ

If you are a crotchety old man then I am a crotchety old woman, and there is no way I am admitting to THAT.

Yes, there is a certain sameness. But then somebody so endearing and enthusiastic comes along that I get sucked in all over again because I remember how exciting it was to visit Scavi or take that launch ride in Paris...
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
yk

I'm not sure I understand. You are crotchety because people here ask the same questions year after year? Why wouldn't they ask the same questions?

Perhaps I don't qualify as an old-timer here. I suppose you had a different screenname before?
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM

I have posted more in recent months about Portugal. Our last three trips were there and compared to France and Italy there isn't as much asked or answered about this country.
So I try to contibute when I can and leave the other more informed posters to answer the repeat questions.
I do like to comment on various trip reports as I feel it is important to let the posters see that they are appreciated.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM

I see you have had the screen name alan43 since just May 09. What screen name did you use to have alan?

As new members come onto Fodor's it is no surprise that they ask the same questions that were asked ages ago. And even long term posters will no doubt ask questions that have been asked in the past when they are planning a trip to a European country that they have never visited before.

There certainly are some very interesting trip reports, or at least I enjoy them.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Besides, even the same questions need to be asked over again, because information may have changed. That's especially true for restaurants and hotels, but details of things like booking the Scavi tour, or museum exhibits, or whatever can change as well.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
yk

BTW, re-reading my reply above, I guess I sound rather crotchety. Does that mean I qualify as an old-timer?
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
ira

You are a crotchety old man, Al.

Have you considered that being a regular on this forum is much like being a teacher - there is a new crop every year?

Welcome back.

So, how is the midEast?

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ira; Great reply. And who qualifies for a crotchety 'old man'? He must be at least 95. Dick
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM

I can handle questions about specific issues. Do you tip in bars? How long from Edinburgh airport to city center? Are stores generally open on Sunday? What drives me crazy are the broad questions.
We plan to visit the UK for 10 days. What should I do?
Get a guidebook.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM

There are more of the same questions asked because there are many more people here than there used to be. Hence many newbies asking without searching.

Sher - I will shortly be posting Portugal questions so please hang around and look out for them! Hopefully I will return with an insightful and interesting trip report.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Yes, it is true. I do find myself becoming more cynical after 12 years of answering the same stuff. But, as Ira says, it is a new crop every year.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am not sure I understand what your post is about.

Sure the questions are the same... over & over again. But no, that doesn't bother me. Everyone has to take a first trip to Paris sometime. And they're probably going to ask about what part of the city to stay in and recommendations for a hotel? I don't see the problem with that.

Can you clarify what exactly's your complaint?
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM

When I want to search for something there is just so much information to wade through that I guess it is easier to just post a new question and get the answer straight away.

Although I love to read everyones posts it is really time consuming and sometimes after reading for hours and using the search box to try and narrow down my questions I still can't find what I am looking for. I guess lots of people don't have time to spend hours reading posts. And as a new generation comes of age off they go to spread their wings just like we once did.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:38 PM

I haven't been on in about 2 years, but gosh darn I miss you folks! I see folks I took great advice from (loveitaly, ira, bobthenav...), and while none of them know me like I feel like I know them... it feels good to be home.

I still owe Ira a receipt from Florence about his favorite restaurant becoming too expensive in 2005... I have it upstairs in the travel journal 'pile' I never compiled.

Forgive my sins, help guide me anew, and I will add what I can to the forum! - KAMG
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM

But it IS more boring- not (just) because it's the same questions, but because all the silly stuff has either been got rid of or relegated to the Lounge.

I was remembering the other day when looking at a question about beaches in Sitges, that someone posted about how they'd gone to Sitges and been appalled at what they'd seen. 150 posts later, it turned out to be a hoax, but it was VERY funny, really.

I'm not lauding particular posters- although I think the more imaginative have probably taken up blogging- but I do miss the flippancy.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:38 PM

Troll alert?
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:03 AM
ira

elcome back, TP.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:10 AM

adrienne. I will look out for your post. Also, there are several others here that know a lot more than I.
If you do not get an answer in the first day or two, remember to top it in case it has been missed. And then it will catch their eye.
If you have never been, you are going to love Portugal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -