for experienced europe goers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! I am studying in Amsterdam from August to December and am 24-years old. My parents, my partner, and I are traveling for about 11 days before my program starts. Neither they nor I have been to Europe...ever! I need help deciding what do do with our time. I know we want to spend at least 3 or 4 days in Amsterdam, but that's all I know. Maybe some of you could give me some advice. All of us are very laid back and don't really like mainstream touristy type of stuff. I like hidden finds, great vegan friendly areas, and we love being outdoors. My partner and I love good experimental/fusion/jazz music. We would like to get good deals, but since we've never been to Europe, we're not that concerned with spending what we need to in order to get the most out of the trip. So maybe you seasoned travelers could give me some words of wisdom!
Thanks,
maria
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:13 PM

Hi

better stick to N Europe if you're looking for vegan food. It's pretty rare throughout Europe, but almost impossible to find in the South.

Why not go up to Scandinavia ? Their season finishes mid August.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you haven't already, you might also like to read &/or post on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree BB and also travel information by Rick Steves (whether his website, guidebooks, television shows).

Both are aimed more at younger &/or budget travel than Fodors focus (don't get me wrong, I love 'em all!).

The vegan thing is going to be the toughest part of anything you mentioned in your post, I'm afraid. Hopefully once you are settled in Amsterdam you will have a kitchen??
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice. Yea, I'll have an apartment. I'll definitely try the sites you suggested.

Peace,
maria
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Here's a GREAT vegetarian place in Amsterdam (with my brief review):

Green Planet; Address: Spuistraat 122,
Amsterdam; Telephone: 020 625 82 80.

A small, intimate restaurant with just eight tables, Green Planet is a unique and personal dining experience that takes vegetarian fare to a wonderful level of full-flavor and first-class presentation. As someone who enjoys meat and seafood immensely, I was honestly skeptical of how satisfied I could truly be with a totally vegetarian menu. Anatol Fritsch's creations at Green Planet are carefully and creatively prepared, well-presented, and wonderfully delicious. Green Planet bills itself as more than simply a restaurant, but part of a lifestyle. The menu is unique, including classic cuisine prepared with organic ingredients.

While it's possible to enjoy carry-out or a quick bite, the way to truly experience Green Planet is with a sit-down dinner in the cozy upper-level dining room with a bottle of wine. The dinner selections will give you an idea: Lasagne Verdi, with smoked buffalo mozzarella, spinach, a white wine vegetable ragout, and fresh Parmigiano cheese, served with a little mixed salad; Dumplings of sweet potatoes, filled with a mushroom nut compote, served with a fine white wine vegetable sauce and a little mixed salad; Grilled marinated smoked tofu fillets with rucola polenta and dill cream potatoes; Fragrant Indian Masala with basmati rice; Smoked tofu-vegetable-bean-burger, served with rösti, `veggies`, and a Wasabi tofu sauce; Asian- style wok fried vegetables with white basmati rice and tofu steaks (with ginger, chilli, garlic, and soy sauce); Asian style wok fried vegetables with Thai noodles and tofu steaks (with ginger, chilli, garlic, and soy sauce); Sour cream Gulas of mixed mushrooms, served with freshly made Spätzle (Austrian style gnocchi).

This is a "come-as-you-are" place, but there is a simple elegance to it all and the dining room has a nice buzz of conversation as diners share the experience. We noted that there was a cat who sauntered among the diners and seems to own the place. Service is typically Netherlands (no rushing here).

If you've ever wanted to experience vegetarian cuisine at its very finest, Green Planet is not to be missed!

Enjoy, Maria!