Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For anyone who's flown through London-Gatwick lately, what are the security wait times like?

Search

For anyone who's flown through London-Gatwick lately, what are the security wait times like?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About how much time should I allow to check-in and clear security these days at Gatwick? And also, how strict are they on the one carry-on limit that's posted on their website? (Would a carry-on plus a duty-free shopping bag be OK, or do I need to stuff the merch into the one carry on?)
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM

I am topping it because I am also interested. But it was fairly smooth when I went through it last month.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM

I suggest you pack to meet the posted requirement. I've gotten the impression -- but it's only an impression because I don't shop in the airport -- is that your duty free purchases are delivered to your gate by the shop.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:23 PM

I, too, was looking today at the carry-on limits wondering about a small suitcase as well as a purse? Hope you get some answers...
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:44 PM

I've not been through Gatwicj since August 8, so I can't give an up to date answer to marty's first question.

Gatwick security has always had different problems from Heathrow: the airport's passenger peak and troughs always seem more extreme, so queues at Gatwick peak periods (Summer Saturday and Snday mornings) are often worse, but the airlines have always encouraged security queue-jumping, so ordinarily if you're checked in on time you'll catch your flight.

The carry-on rules in Britain are generally enforced strictly. But marty seems to have misunderstood them - though they really are pretty clearly laid out on the Gatwick site.

The limit of 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm is enforced (with some exceptions for musicians and parents) at the security checkpoint. <b> This rule applies to what you can carry through the checkpoint. It is not the limit on what you can carry onto the plane </b> After you've been through security?

To quote from the website marty seems to be struggling with:

&quot;Once through security: All shops and catering outlets are open to all passengers. If you are travelling to any destination, including the USA, then you can take ALL items purchased, including liquids, in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin.&quot;
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM

Flanneruk's post is correct. I flew from Gatwick on the 4th October (domestic flight) and you were only allowed the single carry on of the specified dimensions and had to put your handbag inside it if you carried one. Once you are through security you can take out the handbag and carry it separately and likewise any duty free you buy inside. You had to take off any large outdoor coats and remove laptops from their cases if you were carrying one. They went through the contents of my carry on and checked everything including what was inside handbag, toiletries case etc and we did the turn on and off camera and cell phone bit too.

The experience was the same when I went through Heathrow on the 26th except there everyone had to take off their shoes and send them through the screening thing. You had to take off any jacket and send it through the machine, not just overcoats/jackets. Heathrow did not do a hand check of the contents of my hand luggage so the xray machine is presumably pretty thorough. Some people had their bags hand checked after they were screened, however, when something was unclear.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 01:58 AM

Marty:

If I were you I would check with your <b>airline</b> and here is why:

when you go to the British Airways site (just as one example) here is what it says:

Air travellers departing from a UK airport can now <b>carry onboard ONE bag</b> no bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.

Does that sound like you can carry more than one bag <b>after</b> you get through Security?

It doesn't to me.

BUT, when I flew British out of Heathrow earlier this month the folks at the jetway were certainly allowing passengers to bring on duty free bags, etc., in addition to that &quot;one bag&quot; so
who knows what will happen from day to day?
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Also, for those buying duty free after you've checked your luggage, be sure you don't buy items that you might not be allowed to carry aboard a US flight if you aren't flying non-stop back home. Meaning, if your checked luggage is transferred for you, you may not be allowed to carry your duty free items onboard your domestic flight.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM

martytravels:

Flew American Airlines Gatwick to Dallas and then on to St. Louis yesterday.

Once we checked our luggage the agent suggested that we immediately go through security due to delays. The one bag rule was strictly enforced and the handbag had to stay in my carry-on until I was actually on the plane. A second security screening was done at random by AA before entering their lounge prior to departure. We sat for perhaps 45 minutes waiting for the US screening to be granted on passengers prior to departure. Allow plenty of connection time if connecting on in the US.

Signs are posted everywhere in the duty-free area any items purchased after Security can be taken on your flight. What the signs do not make clear is that liquids including perfumes, wine etc are not allowed on to connecting flights in the US. The table was full at DFW of confiscated stuff from people who had purchased at duty free such items.

Check your ariline's individual policy prior to check-in.

Sandy
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SandyBrit for the specific details, it will help me with game-planning. (Sorry for the sports metaphor). Luckily, I don't have a connection in the U.S. Once I get off the plane from Gatwick at Detroit Metro Airport, I'm home.
And thanks to everyone for their replies.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:01 AM

Dukey, When I flew from Heathrow last Thursday, I went through security and then I took my handbag out to buy something at the duty free. I asked an airport official if I had to put everything back in my carry on bag and was told it did not matter now I was through security. I was allowed to carry my carry on, my handbag and my bag of duty free on to the plane separately, although the others would have fitted back into my carry on and I would not have exceeded the &quot;old&quot; limits cabin luggage.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I was in London for a week, arriving at Gatwick on October 14 and leaving on the 20th. I flew U.S. Air and was told before I left that the return requirements were the same as for the U.S. departure, i.e., one carry on plus a purse.

This WAS NOT true. Fortunately, my carry on was not full and included a neck pillow. The attendant told me to put the pillow around my neck and my purse in the carry on, and that worked perfectly for security, except that my purse was a tight fit.

You were allowed to purchase items in duty free and carry them on. We didn't, so I don't know if there were problems upon arrival in the U.S.

I was amazed at the collection of liquids being disposed in both directions and at both connections. You would think people would know by now, wouldn't you?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

&quot;You would think people would know by now, wouldn't you?&quot;

I've seen people walk right up to the screening area with a Starbucks cup in hand, right in front of the big-ass sign that says NO LIQUIDS, and look indignant when the TSA people tell them they can't pass thru security with liquids. Lots of people go through life oblivious to what's going on around them.