Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For alanRow or GeoffHamer or Steve James.......

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to your input from an earlier post, I am now on the www.nationalrail.co.uk website trying to book tickets for our upcoming trip and hoping to save a little bit by not waiting to do a walk up purchase at the ticket window. Altogether we'll each need a ticket from Bristol Airport to Bath on the morning of May 14, and a round-trip ticket Bath/Salisbury/Bath (Is this what is meant by "Return" ticket?) departing around noon on May 14, returning about 22:00; and finally a ticket to London Paddington via Chippenham on May 16.
Open tickets for Bath/Salisbury return (round trip?) seem to be cheaper than Advance tickets. Does this make sense, or am I reading this incorrectly? Also, re the Bath/London trip via Chippenham- if we had an open ticket, could we exit at Chippenham and resume our onward journey a few hours later, or would we need a Bath/Chippenham ticket and then a Chippenham/Paddington ticket?
Sorry to be such a dunce about train travel, but, hey, I live in Los Angeles.... "Nuf said.
I'm just afraid I may not have correct understanding of my options as I work through ticket purchases on the nationalrail.co.uk website, especially about the definition of "return ticket".
Can somebody verify that return ticket means roundtrip ticket, and that Open tickets, which are evidently without restriction, could sometimes actually be cheaper than Advance tickets with time restrictions?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM

Return = roundtrip

For Bath-Salisbury=bath the cheapest fare I can see is £12.60 for a Saver/cheap day return on trains after 9:30am. Before 9:30am an open ticket is cheaper because they don't want to encourage day trippers

If you have an open ticket you can break the trip anywhere you like as long as it's on the way to your final destination (eg you couldn't do Bath to London via Edinburgh on such a ticket)
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM

On the fares page of the National Rail web site, you can click on the ticket type for an explanation.
For open tickets, savers and cheap day returns, there is no advantage to buying in advance. The ticket will cost exactly the same whether you buy it online weeks in advance or at the station five minutes before the train leaves. The tickets which can be a lot cheaper if bought in advance are tickets that are only valid on a specified train; these are normally only offered on long-distance trains where seats can be reserved.
If you plan to break your journey, luggage may be a problem. Very few British stations have left-luggage facilities. In some towns, tourist offices or a café or shop may look after luggage.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Guys, for the further clarifications. It's same day walk-up tickets for us. That'll make things easier.
Regarding luggage storage--I had some concerns about that, too. Tried to find if Chippenham station had provision for ours while we visited Lacock for a few hours. There was a website where one could make inquiries, but I've received no response. Fortunately, we have acquaintances who will be meeting us in Chippenham and go with us to Lacock. We'll only have one bag apiece (2 persons) so hopefully there'll be space in their car to accommodate. I imagine it'll all work out somehow. Once again, thanks for your input.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM

Re Chippenham & left luggage - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Well, alanRow, your link settles the question--No left luggage facility at Chippenham. Before you're through with me, I'll be a pro at navagating the system. You've taken a lot of time. Thanks again.