Train tickets - Italy - date of travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that the tickets for regional and InterCity trains (without seat reservation) in Italy have one month valability.

However, if I buy these tickets for day trips in advance from a travel agency *(in Italy), can I use any day and any time I want, or they will write a day, time, train number on tickets and I have to use only this specific train?
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:48 AM
ira

Hi V,

Except for the ES* and AV trains that are reserved seat only, your ticket is good for any train on that route.

On the ES* and AV trains, if you want to change trains, you have to change your ticket in advance.

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:37 AM

The tickets are good for any train as you say but you MUST validate the tickets just before you board the train. To validate them, you stick the end of the ticket in the yellow box you will find in the station or on the platform. The yellow box will stamp the date and time on the end of the ticket. Verify that the stamp has actually appeared correctly before getting on the train.

Why must these tickets be validated? Often for these slower trains, especially if you are taking a shorter ride, no conductor will ever reach your car to punch your ticket. By validating your ticket, it cannot be used for another ride if a conductor never punches it.

If you don't validate your ticket, you may be charged a hefty fine.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
From Trenitalia:
TICKETS
You can buy your train tickets from station ticket desks during opening times, or from automatic ticket dispensers and self-service ATMs in many stations. You can also buy season tickets and tickets on-line, at Trenitalia's website.

Validity
Normally, tickets expire two months after the issue date, except for the distance-validity tickets and those with voucher stickers, which do not expire, and the tickets bought and printed on-line, which can be bought with 7 days before the departure date.

Validation and duration
The time-length validity of your ticket starts from validation by stamping them in the dedicated machines ("obliteratrici&quot at the stations.

The journey must be completed within 24 hours from validation (in Trentino, by midnight of the day of issue). For distances longer than 200 km, the trip must be completed within 6 hours from validation (in Lombardy within 3 hours, for distances of up to 50 km).Tickets for journeys on regional trains with departure and destination stations in different regions are valid for 6 hours from stamping.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the detailed answer. Now it is clear.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Except for the ES* and AV trains that are reserved seat only, your ticket is good for any train on that route.

Not quite IC+ (plus) trains also require reservations. as you Eurostar City trains. The fee on IC+ is 5 euros

Why bother with an agency - the automatic ticket machines in stations are idiot-proof (i used them) and everyting is in English and use your credit card) - so simple and can be done in minutes as there always seems machines available
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank PalenQ. I never used automatic ticket machines in Europe (but I used them in Japan !!). For me it was simplier and safer to buy from a desk, where I could ask and receive info.

Now, for out trip to Italy , I made a long list of train tickets (13 items) for different destinations and dates. I'll see while in Milano, I think that I have to try aan automatic machine!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
PQ - The OP was asking about regional and IC trains, not ES,AV,ICPlus.