For 1 night, Verona, Vicenza or Padua??

Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

For 1 night, Verona, Vicenza or Padua??

Do you have a favorite between these 3 cities. It will just be for 1 night on the way to Venice and we would like to stay in the town within walking distance to sites & restaurants. Any ideas? This is the last night I have to book for our 2 week Italy stay. I am not too concerned about price. The Hotel Giulietta e Romeo is booked in Verona. Any recs for Accademia? Thank you!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Any ideas?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Of your three, we have only been to Vicenza. While Vicenza has lots of architectural delights, they see relatively few american tourists. If you have an interest in architecture, then there it will keep you interested for at least a day. (Also has a nice pedestrian only downtown area.)

Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM

I think Verona is the best choice. In Vincenza, you would definitely need a car to see the best sites (which are the palazzos in the hills). I quite like Padua, but is really only has handful of sites.

On the other hand, Verona is both gloriously open and rather untouristed and yet is just brimming with truly wonderful things: a marvelous Roman arena, a truly special art museum that is inside a romantic castle, balconies everywhere, a great passegiata, terrific churces of great interest, and a city that is completely walkable everywhere, with lively piazzas where you can relax and relax and relax.

And did I mention the wine?

I stayed at the Best Western there and it was quite boring. It will do for a night, however. I did noticed the hotels right on top of the Piazza Bra and thought they were far too touristy. The Piazza dell'Erbe is also touristy, but it has a little more charm. You might check out www.tripadvisor.com for the opinions of others.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM

Peggy,

We have been to all three and while each has much of interest, Verona is, to us, the prettiest....
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM

Hi Peggy, to add to your confusion..I personally would stay in Padua. But that is just my thinking. It seems as most people enjoy Verona the most so probably that would work the best for you. It is always so difficult to answer a question without knowing the person asking it, their interest etc. I personally don't think you can miss with whatever you choose.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I like the walkable city idea of Verona, and we will be stopping in Vicenza & Padua for a look on the way to Venice the next morning. We would like a stop where we park the car & just roam around & discover the city. Sounds like we could do that in Verona easily. The Accademia Hotel gets a #1 on tripadvisor & it says walking location so I think that is it! Thanks for your help and if any good restaurants come to mind, I would love to hear about them. Grazie!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

The wine in Verona is superior and even if you are not a wine nut (I'm not), it's stilll worth seeking out a good place to try some Amarone or Bardolino by the glass because some of these wines don't travel well and you'll never get to experience them like you will in Verona. Your hotel may be able to help you out with recommendations. One place I went is Antico Bottega al Vino, and if you can tolerate a touch of wine snootiness, it has a great wine bar where you stand up and drink by the glass, and can order small plates of polenta topped with gorgonzola or cured meats. They also have a sit-down restaurant, but I think it's overpriced.

Even though it isn't far to walk, not so many tourists head for the Duomo in Verona, but it is in a very atmospheric neighborhood and the church itself is quite interesting. The tourists mainly hang out in the Piazza Bra and Piazza dell'erbe, and while they have their charms, a walk along the river and especially across the castle bridge (part of the art museum complex) is terrific. Wandering away from the throng was always rewarding.

One thing I didn't do in Verona is go to ANY of the Romeo and Juliet monuments. That may have been my loss, but I had been warned many times not to bother so I didn't. If you have time, visiting the art museum is terrific, even if it's only for 45 minutes or an hour. The historic castle of Verona has been brilliantly converted into a state-of-the-art museum. The best works of art at the beginning, an can easily be seen in an hour. It's a very enjoyable Italian museum with some real treasures of the region.

If you are a chuch buff, the church of St. Zeno, which is a 20 minute hike from the center is unique, but otherwise there is plenty to enjoy right in the historic center.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful information, thank you. We are wine nut (without the snootiness!) and part of our trip is to enjoy the local treasures so thanks for the hints. Apparently the Juliet house is just 5 minutes from our hotel so we will have to stroll by, just because it's close but I love the info on the Duomo & piazzas to check out. I have a mental picture now & that starts making it more real.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM

Rick Steves has a very good walking tour of Verona with lots of interesting historical tidbits. You could get his guidebook on Italy out of the library and photocopy those pages (that's what we did, since I don't like to carry heavy books when walking around a city).
Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:33 PM

If the Verona Opera is on, then you should do Verona. Even if it isn't, you should go there (I have never been to the others, but I adored Verona). There is a Pizza place called Bella Napoli that you should try. Ask around, as everyone knows it and the pizza is fabulous.

Claire
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

That is perfect. We have decided on Verona. And last month we went to the Travel Show in Long Beach Ca., listened to Rick Steves speak, bought his books before we even knew we were going to Italy so I have the info you have talked about! And Pizza! My husbands favorite food. Thank you for the suggestions.
Feb 24th, 2006, 12:10 AM

That is a good decision in my opinion. Verona is much more interesting just to stroll around, day or evening. There is not much to see in Padova other than the Scrovegni Chapel and Vicenza is mainly famous for the Palladian architecture, which you will be able to see on your drive to Venice.