Footwear for Vesuvius

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Footwear for Vesuvius

What will I need to get to the top? Also,is it 'do-able' for someone who is semi disabled? [walking, but with difficulty sometimes]

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:52 PM

You're just going to have to shop like the dickens for yourself, and your own feet. Everyone will tell you than comfort is more important than style or "cute", especially for being out and about all day long.

You need to determine what your feet require - thick cushiony soles, support, etc. Some will offer that your choices of footwear are greater if you get yourself some proper orthotics.

Basically, shoes should not require "breaking in". They must feel like a dream when you first give them a try. Nothing about them rubs, grabs, irritates, feels the least bit uncomfortable the moment you put them on. THEN, you must test them to determine if they will go the distance. Walking around your house and a few steps between your car and other destinations throughout the day are NOTHING compared to pounding the pavements, cobblestone streets, stone walkways, very hard, miles and miles, of museum floors, all about your travels. Best bet is to give shoes a test in a nearby large city or museums or even your local mall for an entire day.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to reply; are we talking hiking boots, trainers, walking sandals?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:56 AM

Topping for Sigrid.

Jim
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM

It has been 4 years since I was on Vesuvius and we went in late October so many things could have changed. We experienced a drastic temperature change while walking to the top, so take a sweater or at least a light jacket. If it's cloudy on top it can be extremely humid, almost drizzly. The crushed lava path can be fairly steep and possibly a little slippery so I would take walking shoes that have a tread on them for traction. Have fun, I hope it's a clear day!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. Will leave the hiking boots at home!