Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you would prefer to walk barefoot, try these awesome shoes!

Old May 30th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

I know there are always a lot of shoe questions, so I thought I'd pass along a favorite find. I LOVE these shoes. They were wonderful for walking all over Spain. If you like going barefoot, then these are for you.

They are based on what locals wear in the Andes. Plus the owner of the company gives a pair to a poor child for every pair sold. They do annual shoe drops. Now you can even travel on the shoe drop. Cool!

http://www.tomsshoes.com/
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM

Looks like a great product.
Can you tell me how much arch support is in these shoes? Normal, more than the average shoe, etc.
Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Which ones - the suede ones ? Presumably not the espadrilles or flipflops !
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

There is some padded arch support, but it is a very basic shoe. They really make you feel like you aren't wearing shoes at all, but without the inconvenience of stepping on broken glass.

I just know that I can walk for miles and miles in them and they still look dressy enough to wear with a skirt for dinner. Plus they keep your toes warm too!

I think going on one of their shoe drops would be amazing. I think it could change your whole perspective on life.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

I have the black canvas ones like these but with a canvas sole. I actually have two pairs, one I bought at Nordstrom the other at Macy's.

http://www.tomsshoes.com/ProductDeta...7&productID=16
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Crap, I didn't mean canvas sole, I meant black sole.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:12 AM

I was looking at the canvas shoes; I think the suede would be too hot for summer. No flip flops for me.

Since that recent flip flop thread I've been trying to see how many women wear them in my area. I've never seen many women with them on and I think I would have noticed since I thought they were pedicure/ beach wear exclusively. I've always wondered how people can wear them and be comfortable. They hurt my toes terribly.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I hate having things between my toes. Plus I must do some sort of kick when I walk because I tend to send shoes without back straps flying ahead of me.

These shoes require about a day of break-in, and then they just sort of seem to mold to your foot.
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM

I saw a young guy in the bank the other day (in Australia), whom I thought was wearing his slippers. How odd, I thought. But looking at the men's shoes on this site, particularly the plaid version, makes me wonder whether he was wearing these.

.. then again, maybe he was just wearing his slippers..
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM

kelliebellie - I know what you mean about the shoes flying off. For me it's narrow heels. I need flats that have a back and are high enough on the instep, otherwise I fall out of them.

Too bad shoe companies stopped making narrow-heeled shoes.