Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Food Recommendations in Monastiraki and Nafplio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be staying in Monastiraki soon. I am looking for tips on places to eat.

I live in a city where the Greek food is appalling, and I haven't had decent moussaka or lamb shanks or any of that stuff for years. I am interested in traditional Greek food, not nouvelle this or fusion that. I'm not a vegan. I'll eat anything the cook can manage to kill. I don't care about gluten. I love gluten. In fact, I want extra gluten. I don't care whether the food is sourced locally or has hormones in it. All I care about is good Greek food, like the food they ate a hundred years ago, before the Food Network. I would be grateful for suggestions.

We will also be in Nafplio, so I am looking for recommendations there as well. We'll be near the center of town.

I went to Greece in '84 as a kid, and all the food was good. The first meal I ate was served on a ferry from Brindisi, and it was excellent. My first meal in Athens came from a crummy little tavern where I had to point at stuff to get served. They gave me lamb stew with potatoes and half-liter mug of retsina. It was wonderful. The only bad food I ate came from an outdoor cafe in Syntagma Square, and they marked it up around 500%. I would rather have great everyday food in a restaurant for locals than bad tourist food with strolling violinists and dancing bears, in a hype joint where Guy Fieri might come bursting through the door at any second.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 09:56 AM

For delicious and authentic Greek food in Monastiraki I reccomend the restaurant ”Kyklamino”. It is a traditional family restaurant with comfort food at a great price.

Last edited by Jodah73; Apr 10th, 2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 10:26 AM

In Nafplio we ate twice at Bounos Psarosavouras on Boumpoulinas Street overlooking the water. One meal was a late lunch of appetizers (mussels saganaki and a huge Greek salad) and drinks. Another meal was a full dinner. For appetizers we shared stuffed peppers and stuffed tomatoes. I had a delicious fresh sea bass. Forgot what my husband had.

Another favorite meal of our whole trip was at Aiolos in Nafplio. We shared grilled vegetables; I had oven-baked lamb and my husband had grilled garlic shrimp.

I can also recommend Koustenis for delicious ice cream.

No violinists and dancing bears, I promise!
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.

It looks like a place in Monastiraki is promising. It's called Nikitas, unless I'm misspelling it.