Good food-good prices in Paros, Naxos, Santorini, Delphi, Nafplio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a great place to share where we can get good food at good prices in Paros, Naxos, Santorini, Delphi and Nafplio--First time in Greece and we would love to eat where we know people have been and the place is recommended.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM

My trip to Greece was in 2007, so this info is old. Also, I am a vegetarian so my opinion is colored by that! I had a brief visit to Athens last year before heading on to Turkey and found that food prices had gone up a few Euro, but not too much.

I can only help with Naxos. Our base for exploring Delphi was nearby Galaxidi. When I visited, the site at Delphi itself has only an official cafeteria on-site, no choices. There were no other restaurants in walking distance, as the site is quite large and up a hill. Unfortunately, I wasn't wild about the meals we had in Galaxidi.

City: Naxos Town
Restaurant: I Kali Karthia (H Kαλι Kαpδια), The Good Heart
Meal: Dinner
Dishes: Vegetarian plate, with stewed eggplant and squash, stewed green beans, oven potatoes, yiyandes, tomato gemiste, water. Wine was complimentary from the owner.
Dessert?: No
Cost: 6.50E
Notes: I was drawn to the vegetarian plate advertised on the sign board. It was nice to have a variety of foods even though I was eating by myself. The food was good, but very stewed and swimming in oil. It would have been nice to have something fresh on the plate. The owner was very nice and didn't charge me for my 250 ml of wine. I was wavering whether to put this in recommend or neutral; the service keeps it in "recommend."

City: Apollona, Naxos
Restaurant: One of the ones on the waterfront--I didn't write down the name
Meal: Lunch
Dishes: Horiatiki, water
Cost: 6E
Notes: I took a bus tour of Naxos and we stopped in Apollona for lunch. The Greek salad was your standard Greek salad with its excellent tomatoes and cucumbers and good quality feta.

Restaurant: Dolphins (Δελφινιας)
Meal: Lunch
Dishes: Organic potato salad, water
Cost: 6.70E
Notes: This was one of the best individual dishes I had on the trip. Potatoes are one of Naxos's primary crops. It was served room temperature, with potatoes, tomatoes, capers, olives, red onion, garlic, and olive oil. This is the one dish I have attempted to make at home (not quite the same, but still good).

Restaurant: Trattoria di Susanna
Dishes: Pizza, called "Frescuria" and toppings were mozzarella, parmesan, cherry tomatoes, and fresh arugula; glass of red wine
Cost: 11.40E
Notes: As the majority of the Greek food I'd had on Naxos was so-so at best, I branched out into pizza. It was fantastic! The sign bragged about their good quality mozzarella, and there was no false advertising involved. The single serving pizza is huge, but somehow I managed to eat most of it.
Location: I have no idea. Go up to the square with the fountain and wander around for a really long time.

And I had one terrible meal in Naxos.

Restaurant: Meze
Dishes: Mushrooms in garlic sauce, fries, water, wine
Cost: 17E
Notes: I went to Meze with some people I had met on the bus tour. We each got our own dish, and we got 1/2 liter carafes of wine in both red and white. The good is that the wine was *excellent,* some of the best house wine of the trip. The food was terrible. The "garlic sauce" on my mushrooms was gloopy, greasy, and congealed. The fries were cold. My dining companion's octopus was undercooked, and my other companion's chicken was sort of grayish.
Location: Waterfront. The waiters wear orange t-shirts with the restaurant's name on it. This makes it easier to spot and avoid.

All my food info on Greece is here: http://travelathomeandabroad.blogspo...tarian-in.html
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM

It's hard to advice not knowing what type of food you arew after and your exact location on the islands, but as far as concern me:

Naxos Town/St George

To Kastro - On a small "plateau" (opening) at the foot of the Kastro area. Gorgeous vews of the harbour especially at sunset, so it's a bit touristy, but locals still go there. Usual tavern stuff with grilled meat, some casserol cooked dishes, a few sea food items.

Maro - Off the "court" square, by the side of a busy road. Location is not pleasant at all, but this place is great value for money, serving huge portions of food, large variety of cooked items, meze (varied Greek finger food), grilled meats, salads, deserts etc It offers take away too.

To Ellinikon - A bit hard to find, on Kotti area of St George, near police station, next to a hotel called I think Coral or Corali or something. Inside area and a small opening with a few tables. Simple but hearty food, good value for money. There is a counter and you can go,see and choose your meal, mostly cooked items.

St Prokopios

Nikos - The corner one by the sea front. This place gets super-busy and is slightly touristy, but offers very decent meals, the usual tavern stuff, grilled meat, fish, a few cooked side-dishes.

Plaka
Meze2 - I've tried Meze-Meze, which is a brunch of the town one, and it was decent enough. A bit on the pricey side, but items suggested by waiter were fine to me.

Paros

I am not very familiar with Parikia.

On Naoussa

Vitsadakis - By the "large" section of the fishing port, the first sea front tavern after the bridge. Famous for its sea food and fish. Reasonably priced comparing to other fish taverns, of course note that fish and sea food is very expensive in Greece! Some meat and cooked items on offer too.

Ta Kritikakia - A cheap and decent grilled tavern- souvlaki place, at the very start of the port with a few interesting side dishes. Nice for a cheap quick meal. They do take aways and deliviries too.

Yemeni - Somewhere on a small lane a few streets back from waterfront. A short but delicious list of food items, mostly cooked, its specialty is a local food, chick peas slow cooked in an oven,in a teracota pot.

In Piso Livadi

Halaris - Last by one fish tavern at the end of marina, usual fish fare and a couple of different dishes such as calamari stuffed with feta cheese, pepper and tomato. Locals frequent this place for some meze and ouzo too.

?(Name escapes me) - Next to Halaris , description for Halaris applies here to.

Lefkes

Klarinos - Famous among the locals for its various grilled meat items and its reasonable prices.

Delphi

Gargadouas - Next to bus station, a simple room, no views but favored by locals for its honest rates and its great grilled meat. Not many alternatives on the menu if you are not meat eater.

Vakhos - At the top of the second main road, below the church square. Nice veranda with excellent views on the valley. Grilled meat and cooked items, lots of meze.

Patriko - Near Gargadouas, opposite the petrol station. Large inside and outside areas, gabulous views on the valley. Large menu with many grilled meat,pasta, cooked items and interesting salads. A bit on the pricey side and service is a hit or miss, but in general gets good comments.

Agora - A small snack cafe, about 200 metres away from Patriko, with valey views, offering sandwitches, pasta and pizzas.

Astra - Sort of a wooden platform,serving as a snack cafe opposite the bus station. Description of Agora applies here too.

I can't help with Nafplion and Santorini .
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Nicegirl and Mariha--what great suggestions for eating places while in Greece--thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 08:12 AM

While in Santorini, we ate at KAPARI, which is on the Main St in Fira. The taverna was cozy and charming. Our hosts were very quiet but very warm and accommodating. But more importantly, our meal was delicious and very moderate in price.
For lunch, we ate at STANI, which was in Fira and located near the cable car station. We had a beautiful view of the sea and sunset. While this was a bit more casual, it was lively, and the food was very good and inexpensive. The waiters are fun.
Good luck.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM

Stani in Fira is a wonderful choice especially if you go up to the rooftop terrace... because you can enjoy the sunset and then have a nice meal ... this is particularly apropos if you are there in May /June because the sun doesn't set until nearly 9pm (2100), and if you are off somewhere along the rim path, you may get pretty hungry by the time you find a restaurant.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM

You are welcome : )

Just to add that bakeries in Greece offer all sort of filling "mini-pies" and pastries, and of course bread, so if you are not in the mood for a proper meal...look no further!

In Delphi there is a bakery in the middle of the main road, and an other one turning left when reaching church square level, on the opposite direction of church.

On Naxos, there is a great bakery operating on wood fire traiditional way, somewhere on a lane a couple of streets back from waterfront, near Hotel Coronis side. And on the waterfront you'll find Randez-Vous, which is a cafe/pastry sort of place, offering delicious pastries, cakes and stuff (very good choice for breakfast that one!)
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM

If you take a day trip from Paros to Antiparos and stay for the evening, try Yorgis Taverna, half way up the main street from the harbor. Great food at reasonable prices, run by a very nice family. Go into the kitchen to select your food, and you will be handed a free glass of the local ouzo.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks Heimdall! Writing it down! And what will happen if I tell them i know you?? hmmm
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM

Arrested and deported!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM

They don't know me as Heimdall, so you will be safe. ;-) If you have as many free ouzos from them as I have had over the years, you probably <i>will</i> be arrested and deported.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM

Wait. I didn't get the free ouzo. I'm going back to try again!
Also, there's a great pizza place owned by an Italian family on the same street closer to the dock. Heimdall surely remembers the name.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:42 PM

Parosblue, go in the kitchen and order your food from Yorgis or his son Benos. They always have a glass for their customers. A good tip for any family-run taverna is to check the display cabinets in the kitchen to see what is available, and you will discover many wonderful dishes you wouldn't have tried otherwise. If you aren't sure, ask first, but most will welcome you in.

The Italian place on Antiparos is called Lollo's. I agree they have great pizzas and other Italian food. After your meal, stroll up to http://www.vickys.gr/ for possibly the best Italian-type ice cream you have ever tasted. It's the one around the corner at the top of the main street, not the one half way up.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM

P.S. Just looked at the "where we are" page on Vicky's website, and it shows step by step how to get there, all the way from Athens Airport to Antiparos. Too funny! Now you have no excuse for not finding it!
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 12:21 AM

In Santorini, restaurants in Amoudi Bay were our favourite. Typical Greek tavernas by the sea with local specialities.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 02:01 AM

Hi

Had a lovely, inexpensive meal on the the Parikia waterfront at Ego Mio restaurant. "No stress, be happy" is their motto and sums up Paros beautifully!!

Here's some photos - http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Restaurant.jpg
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...rrent=Sign.jpg
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM

I am with Mariha about To Kastro on Naxos. We have always enjoyed you meals there. We normally visit late May early June and that is still pre season. Many tavernas are empty but to Kastro pretty much always has people waiting for a table. That is a sign for us that this taverna has a high likelihood of providing good food and good prices. I also have to agree on Maro. The location really is not the best but the food is excellent, with large portions. On our last trip we ate here twice and found many of the same people eating both times.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you world in a bag for the great photos of Paros--the more I chat with all of you folks, the more anxious I am to get to Greece--keep those suggestions coming!!!

Heimdall-- will definitely look for Vicky's and you are right about their website...