Reload this Page >

food on the plane

Search

food on the plane

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Marita

food on the plane

Based on the travel tips I have been reading in this forum, I plan to bring a lot of water and some fresh fruit and veggies on the plane with me. After hearing the story about the kid who was forced to drink from a bottle of water (pond water that ended up making him sick) he was carrying, my husband is wondering: will we have to open all the watr bottles and drink from them? And with any food that we carry, do we have to consume it on the plane (in other words, will we have to discard any left over food once we reach our destination)?<BR><BR>Just wondering......

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Marita

Most likely, if security is doing their job, they will make you drink from each. Take big bottles. You can acquire good bottled water at your destination hotel. Food stuff will probably be confiscated upon arrival. You can give it a shot though.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Sue

I've flown 2 foreign flights and half a dozen domestic since Sept 11 and have not had to drink out of water bottles or throw away food. Depending on customs officials on this end, you might have to discard food from Europe.<BR><BR>Security here wouldn't let me carry coffee through, though. They do provide water on the plane--they are just stingy with it.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Jennifer

I've also never been asked to drink from any fluid that I'm carrying on board a plane.<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:24 AM
parched

The flight attendents will give you all the bottled water you want..why carry it? And it makes a good excuse to get up and walk around.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Chris

I've been asked to drink from my water bottle each flight I've taken since 9/11.<BR><BR>I take my own water because I don't like the kind they give you on the plane -- and if you're drinking water you don't need an excuse to get up and walk around!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:51 AM
marita

Thanks - sounds like we'll bring some for the trip over

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Myer

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion.<BR><BR>Yes, you want to stretch a few times. And yes, you should drink some water. The flight attendants will give you what you need.<BR><BR>But on an overnight flight from the US to Europe that lasts barely more than a night's sleep, how much can you do?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:16 AM
anon

I don't think it's being blown out of proportion. I always take a large bottle of water with me and drink a lot of it. Flight attendants are not there to wait on you and you shouldn't expect them to bring you a glass of water every time you want one, at least not in coach. I fly a lot and have never been asked to open or drink from any bottles I've carried. Whether or not you have to throw away any food at the end of the flight depends on where you're going. Stuff like cookies, crackers and the like shouldn't be a problem anywhere.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Suzy

Most countries frown on visitors importing fresh fruits and veggies, because they can carry diseases. So don't try to import them. Either finish them on the plane, leave them on the plane, or take permitted foods only, so you can take them off the plane with you. In general, processed foods are OK -- anything that's been canned, baked, or otherwise cooked won'tbe carrying diseases. The US prohibits importing many meats, even cooked ones, as well.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:12 AM
bettyk

Not once during the 5 flight segments we recently flew in May to, from and within Europe, did anyone ask us to drink from our water bottle. They checked our bags, our person and our shoes, but no problem with the water bottles. Agree with others that any fresh fruit or meat products should be consumed on the plane or left behind because they will probably be confiscated.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Danna

I was required to drink from my juice going through security in Hartford , CN. I assumed it was because I was carrying it in my hand, not luggage.