Reload this Page >

Another reason to always have food when you fly

Mar 16th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/03....html#comments

Here's the text of the Daily Intel post

Flight Attendants Ration Pringles on Sixteen-Hour Nightmare Flight From LAX to JFK
3/16/10 at 12:00 PM Comment 13Comment 13Comments
Photo: Tim Sloan/AFP/Getty Images

You know when you get on a plane and you didn't plan ahead, so you have to eat whatever weird snacks they drag up and down the aisle and sell for $6 a pop? There's no healthy option, certainly, so you have to choose between biscotti and a plate of weird cheese cubes, and maybe, if you're lucky, a sandwich of something only moderately gross, like almond butter and banana. Well, over the weekend a Virgin America flight full of passengers traveling from Los Angeles to New York found themselves stuck onboard for seven hours in the air and seven hours on the ground in Newburgh, New York, after having been diverted from the city as result of the storm.

During that fourteen-hour ordeal, the food slowly began to run out on the plane. (Presumably, the alcohol was all chugged by hour six.) By the end of it, flight attendants were doling out the last remaining snacks (Pringles, of course), giving each person a measly four potato chips. To add insult to injury, there was only a half-cup of water per person to wash down those salty, delicious pieces of fat and chemicals. And that doesn't even take into account that there were three screaming babies and a pissed-off celebrity (Carrie Ann Inaba of Dancing With the Stars) onboard. That just might be the perfect storm of terrible onboard airplane conditions, minus maybe having to listen to an overly chipper flight crew or sitting next to a person who is exercising his or her right to not buy two seats even though really their ass occupies more than one.

But that wasn't all. After waiting until midnight at a small airport in the middle of nowhere, the passengers were finally let off the plane and piled into buses, which drove them to JFK. While they were on the two-hour drive, air conditions finally cleared up and the Virgin airplane flew back, too, beating them there.

A
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:48 AM
J62

Definitely a good reminder. And to think that some people still expect to get more than a bag of peanuts on a 2hr flight.

I'm neither diabetic nor do I have dietary restrictions, and I always make sure I've good food & water on hand when I board a plane.

Small airport in the middle of nowhere? Some of us here on Fodors call that "middle of nowhere" home.
Mar 16th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I understand the security risks and all, but it is annoying that you cannot bring more than 3 oz of water on a floght unless you bought it at crazy prices after security. And then, they run out of water on a flight!
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
J62

They don't restrict the water you can carry on a flight, just what you can bring through security.

I bring an empty water bottle through security and fill it up before boarding the plane.

QED.
Mar 16th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

@ JED. Good idea.
Mar 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I always have my own water and at least Luna bar.

Yes, I have to pay airport prices for the water but it's worth it IMHO!