Reload this Page >

Food on the Eiffel Tower

Search

Food on the Eiffel Tower

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 05:25 AM
RJD

Food on the Eiffel Tower

Has anyone had recent experience with the restaurant on the Eiffel Tower? It's called, I believe, the Jules Verne. My wife and I would like to dine there on our last evening in Paris in late June. Lights of the city below, etc. None of my guide books, which are a little old, mentions it. This scares me.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 05:50 AM
cheryl

Run a search on this forum for "Jules Verne". I just did this for someone who has reservations there, and I came up with about 15 opinions. If you decide to have dinner there, you will need to make reservations well in advance, and be prepared, it will be expensive. Most comments were quite good. Good Luck.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Terry

I recently tried to make dinner reservations for the week of June 1st and I was told that they are booked through the middle of July. Lunch reservations were available however. I am looking forward to dining there.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Lee

RJD: Judging from the menu that were we looking over during our tower visit last year, I did not see any prices that appeared to be all that high. I was suprised, really. <BR> <BR>We couldn't have dinner that evening as it was booked solid, but the menu selection was quite varied-something for everyone, if I remember correctly. <BR> <BR>Have fun, good luck landing that date.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 11:17 AM
greg

How about more plebeian restaurant on the 1st stage "Altitude 95"? Is it any good? The previous postings simply stated that so and so ate there, which I interpreted as uneventful except that it was a restaurant on the Tower?

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 05:11 PM
joel

I can confirm that the Jules Verne has excellent cuisine. It earns 2 Michelin stars which puts it in a lofty category (bad pun intended). However, you can eat in some of Paris' very best restaurants for the same price. I suggest you purchase the Michelin Red Guide for Paris or France and choose your restaurant based on their specialty, arrondissement, and prices, all of which are given and cross-referenced. <BR>

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 01:09 AM
Kim

<BR>For my birthday a few years ago we went to the Jules Verne for dinner and are still talking about it, and telling people how AWFUL it was. Cost us over $260 for 2 people which I call expensive and the meal was just AWFUL. It was the worst meal I have ever had in a restaurant anywhere. <BR>I was shocked by it and so appalled and also so embarrassed that I had asked to go there and we had such a horrible time. I certainly recommend against this Jules Verne to anyone.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 05:32 AM
Al

All this reminds me of advice from a friend who knows France better than I do. He told us to never eat anywhere that is more than 100 ft. off the ground and never eat in a restaurant that revolves.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:15 AM
Les

Jules Verne? Go for to appreciate the view. The food was good, but hardly worth the price. Please note that it is a bit formal in service. People who do not understand the proper etiquette involved with such service may be treated pretty badly.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:38 AM
DonB

The cuisine at Jules Verne is outstanding, Chef Reix (sp) does wonderful things with seafood and we were especially impressed with the help we received in wine selection. <BR> <BR>As in any Michelin 2* the bill will be as steep as the ride to the 2nd Stage; but for a view of the City of Lights that you'll never forget along with some excellent cuisine, Jules Verne is a wonderful choice. <BR> <BR>Please remember that sunset, in Paris, is very, very late in the evening so, if you can, make your reservations for 8:30 or 9:00PM so you can watch Paris transform itself. <BR> <BR>Advice on early booking is well taken - my memory of that there were no more than a couple of dozen tables. As you might imagine, most, if not all, of your fellow diners will be tourists (you'll have to depend on the view for unique ambiance)who are celebrating something special. <BR> <BR>There ARE finer restaurants in Paris; but the view makes this a wonderful choice for a meal you'll long remember. <BR> <BR>Bon appetit!

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Beth

We ate lunch at the Jules Verne in March and the food was fabulous! We had the price fixed meal, and everyone's food was outstanding! Our lunch was about $250 for 4 persons. It was a beautiful experience - quite formal, but people were dressed casually. Some even had on jeans. I would highly recommend it!