Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Food in Ireland----namely, black pudding.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Should we try Black Pudding? And what exactly is it?

I've read rave reviews of it at The Chart House in Dingle, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it.

Now, I do love lamb chops, so I plan on having that.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is just sausage made with blood...Irish version of the Spanish morcilla or the French boudin noir...Germans and Italians have their own versions, too.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:05 PM

LOTS of blood.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Oh, come on. You would never know it is blood unless someone told you. It just tastes rich. We always use it in venison stew here in my corner of Massachusetts, following Scottish practice.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM

If you are going the B&B route, you may find black pudding and white pudding on your breakfast plate.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM

I saw blutwurst (assume it's the same thing) on a breakfast buffet in Germany. Kept me off the meat end of the table for good (but then I've never had much except toast or cereal in the morning).

Suggest you google some pix and recipes before you decide.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Not know it was blood? Looks like clotted blood, tastes like a nosebleed!

apologies to the squeamish.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Even with alot of wine beforehand, I think I'll take a pass. I do like to try new food, but that's not going to be one of them.

I'll bet Anthony Bourdain would try it, though.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Perfectly safe to eat despite its rather scary origins.

You will find it most commonly offered as part of "The Full Irish", a true gastronomic test of the cardiovascular system, a breakfast plate with rashers (bacon slices), sausage (fried), eggs (yes, fried again), tomatoes (what else but fried). Any room left on the plate can be occupied with mushrooms (fried of course), white pudding (a close relation to your black pudding) and potato cake (yes, that's fried too)

In the northern counties of Ireland where nothing is left to chance, the Ulster Fry throws in some fried bread as an absolute guarantee that your cholesterol levels will hit numbers you've never dreamed of.

Black pudding has been elevated in recent times to higher cuisine than breakfast and appears on menus combined with apple puree and even with seared scallops.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's some pics of Clonakilty black pudding:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1...w=1004&bih=462

if you think that's gross, you're lucky that you've never been offered "blutkucken". Here's a recipe [sorry, it's in german, but the important bit is that it requires 1/2 litre of pig's blood]

http://www.kochmeister.com/r/42113-t...lutkuchen.html

the version I was offered was made with the meat from a wild boar's head, and the boar's blood of course. it was somewhat of an acquired taste and not what I personally would have served for a 25th wedding anniversary celebration, but it seemed to be very popular with the other guests.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM

It's among the reasons the wife goes vegetarian whilst we travel.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM

it's a Scottish thing also...can also be served with scallops for a dinner dish...
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM

"Ulster Fry throws in some fried bread as an absolute guarantee that your cholesterol levels will hit numbers you've never dreamed of."

Fried bread is cholesterol-free. Fried tomatoes aren't just cholesterol-free too: the level of lycopenes and antioxidants in them is higher than in raw tomatoes - and infinitely higher than in junk food like those disgusting fat-stuffed croisssants the French stuff down them.

I'm a regular eater of proper breakfasts. I also regularly get my cholesterol level checked. It's never been remotely elevated after a nice plate of black pudding, fried tomatoes, baked beans and a couple of rashers of bacon.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 12:24 AM

"Black Pudding? And what exactly is it?"

I note that among all the nutritionally-illiterate ("a true gastronomic test of the cardiovascular system")attitudinising, no-one's bothered to answer your question.Par for the course, of course, with this shower of pig-ignorant numpties. Much easier to opinionate when you haven't got the faintest what you're yammering on about.

Black pudding is a mix of onions, blood, a tad of salt, pepper, mace and nutmeg and a high fibre binder: usually oatmeal or barley. Sauteed together for 5-10 mins, put into a casing then poached and left, refrigerated, for a few days.

Ounce for ounce, rather less blood - and far, far more taste -than those boring slabs of growth hormone Americans idolise as steak. Only with cholesterol-busting dietary fibre already cooked in.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM

Black pudding is very good.
Mind you, I only have the full English/Scottish/Irish breakfast when on holiday.
It's one of those things that some people get silly about, rather like haggis or offal.
I have never understood why it is perfectly fine to eat part of an animal's backside, but not its liver.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 02:48 AM

I'm not being silly about it, it tastes of blood to me, which I don't care for. To each his own, which I won't write in French as that will open another debate.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:48 AM

Interesting point about beef steak containing blood!

No one ever think of that when they dig into those Beefsteak Charlie hunks o meat!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

flanneruk---thanks for the real description.

Another question----why is it called pudding? To me pudding is a chocolate or other flavored dessert.

I do eat steak med. rare, so I'll give it another thought. We'll see when I view it for real.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM

steak and kidney pudding is a traditional British recipe
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 11:21 AM

It really does taste pretty good and does not look like congealed blood at all. I find that I taste the grains they use as filler more than anything else. It really is quite good and not at all nasty or bloody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -