Food in Europe

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:24 PM
byerly

Food in Europe

I will be taking my first trip to Europe in the fall - UK and then Italy - and the only thing I am nervous about is the food. Curse me for stereotyping, but i can imagine I will be okay in Italy to eat with pasta, etc., but I'm really bummed about food in the UK. I enjoy a good meal and dont do the fast food thing unless its a necessity but the thought of kidney pie or eating anybody's internal organs makes me ill. Can I make it 10 days on bread and cheese? Please give me some advice on this. I'm not a foodaholic - I see it as mostly fuel. I love traveling and seeing the sights, but I gotta eat and this is starting to bug the hell out of me.

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:27 PM
ellen

Will you be in London? There are plenty of ethnic restaurants there, lots of Indian if you like that. Don't worry, you won't starve - it's not all organ meat, by any means.

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Book Chick

Hi B,
There really & truly are tons of other cuisines to sample & enjoy. And I think British cooking has really improved in the past few years.

Don't forget fish & chips, salads, and other vegetable delights. You'll find poultry and ham dishes well-prepared & tasty, if you seek them & don't mind spending.

I really think you're going to be okay. (And you're right, I've never had a truly bad meal in Italy.)

Happy Travels, Good Appetite,
BC

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Rex

Fish and chips is a meal done well in many parts of England. And Italian restaurants are actually popular all over London. There are numerous threads about that here on this forum.

And browse through the restaurant listings on www.timeout.com or on the fodors rants'n'raves listings for cities you plan to visit if you want some specific listings. Remember that the staff of your hotel are a good resource for recommending restaurants, based on the descriptions you give them, of the kids of food you are seeking.

One great thing about so many restaurants in europe is an area of patio or courtyard seating right in front of the entrance. You can get a pretty good look at what people are eating before you go in many places.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:46 PM
janis

byerly: Boy - is your info about 30 years out of date. There are now more world class restaurants in London than just about anywhere else. Plus any sort of "ethnic" food you are looking for. About 18 months ago both Gourmet and Bon Appetite magazines devoted full issues to London - Bon Appetite even called London the culinary center of the universe.

Believe me - you will love the food in London - unless you eat in the ttourist trap pubs that cater to dazed Americans walking out of Victoria station.

The food in Italy is wonderful too - but don't expect it to be anything like what is called "Italian" in the US.

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Rex

Hey, bc - - did you ever post an answer to your own puzzler about the midwestern city with the most books per capita? Is it Ann Arbor? Madison?

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Hannibal

<<eating anybody's internal organs...">> ??????

The Brits may have foul food, but I think it's been centuries since anyone accused them of cannibalism.

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:20 PM
byerly

OK, so I'm not up on the latest. Maybe I read way too much, but please, for the love of God, tell me what Bubble and Squeak is. Sounds like a science experiment gone bad.

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:49 PM
xxx

Yes there's a lot of different restaurants in European countries, but that doesn't make them all that good. I didn't care for the food in Ireland last year. I've found that it's helpful to carry some energy bars (like Clif bars and Balance bars) with me while vacationing. I also fill in with bread and cheese. And you can always pack a plastic jar of penaut butter for protein.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Susannah

Actually, Britain isn't big on internal organs - you're much more likely to find them on the continent. Traditional British cooking is roasted meat or poultry, potatoes, and veg, and a lot of seafood and fish. Lovely cakes and puddings as well. These days, you'll find an Indian and/or a Chinese restaurant in every small town, plus fish and chips and the accompaniments, in addition to the traditional British fare.

And even the bread and cheese is quite nice - toasted, on wholegrain bread with chutney and a fresh green salad, and chips if you want them - you could do worse for lunch! You can get sandwiches of all sorts (not just cheese), pretty much anywhere, at any time. If you're not a big meat-eater, the UK is probably the most vegetarian-friendly country in Europe. If you are a meat-eater, try the various meat pasties and pies when you have the chance.

Bubble and squeak is just beef cooked with potatoes, cabbage, and onions (usually leftovers) and maybe a few other vegetables. Some contemporary bubble and squeak leaves out the meat and is just potatoes, onions, and cabbage. The name supposedly comes from the noise it makes cooking.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:17 PM
mimi taylor

Echoing Janis, London is a foodie's paradise these days, There's the river Cafe, Caprice, Gavaroche, All of Conrad's restaurants, Ivy, Cafe Nicole,Bibedum, and if John G is around, he can fill yopu in on the newer trendier places.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:19 PM
byerly

Susannah, you are an angel. To everyone else, thanks so much. I feel everlastingly better. Meat, potatoes, and green vegetables I can handle.

The puddings sound good also as long as they don't contain anything resembling what we called in the USA south "sweetbreads." Bleah and bleah again.