Reload this Page >

only 10 days starting in Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:46 PM
joy

what would be the best advice for an itinerary for only 10 days starting in Milan?<BR>Should we just do a train do Florence and Sienna? and back?<BR>Or get a car and just do Tuscany and Milan?<BR>I want to absorb and enjoy the atmosphere..no mad rush.<BR>btw...It will be three adults in October.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:06 PM
Rex

This is not an attempt to sound flip, but your questiopn could be as broad as what to see in europe - - Milan is THAT well placed, strategically. you could have:<BR><BR>1. a south of France and French alps loop<BR><BR>2. a Switzerland trip<BR><BR>3. an all-"Alpine/Germanic" loop<BR><BR>4. A Venice/Slovenia or a Venice/Croatia (or more superficially, all three) trip<BR><BR>5. and ten different Italian itineraries that all start and end in Milan - - just ask Bob the Navigator.<BR><BR>The way your question is asked, you apparently want an all-Italy trip - - but even Italy is ten different countries. I urge you to get some big coffee-table sized picture books from the library, bookstore or both - - and see what makes your heart go pitter-patter.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:18 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Joy

Thanks for the response. I see your point, I don't think I phrased my question well enough. I guess a better question is what is reasonable to do in 10 days that includes Milan, Florence, and Sienna. If we enjoy art,architecture,opera,food,and wine is our 10 days best spent by trying to do only three cities? or could we squeese in a drive around Tuscany without feeling rushed?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Rex

Okay. Excellent focusing in on what is really important to you.<BR><BR>And you are wise to think that you really do need to give forethought to time allocation; there is so much to do in Lombardy and Tuscany both.<BR><BR>First, I do recommend a car. The 8th, 9th and 10th days of car rental are usually NOT a bargain (often just priced the same as an additional 3 day rental on top of the good pricing for a 7 day rental), so I would recommend a car for seven days - - it could start on day 2 or beyond.<BR><BR>Is the air travel already purchased? If not, you might look for an open jaw that goes into "MIL" (this three letetr code will simultaneously search for MXP, LIN and BGY) and comes back out of Florence, Pisa, Rome or other more southernly airport. Florence and Pisa do not have trans-atlantic flights, but you may still be able to connect one-stop through London, Paris or other major Europe airport gateways.<BR><BR>So, you have only two givens in my opinion (maybe three) - - one night IN Milan (or environs), and two nights IN Florence (preferably IN). That leaves seven days, and I think you have to be careful not to give yourself too few, in a chunk. You could spend five days in Tuscany (outside Florence) or in the Lakes region north of Milan (not to mention Bergamo and/or Pavia) - - but not that much time in both, obviously - - given your existing timeframe.<BR><BR>I might lean slightly towards Tuscany since it's October - - and you have expressed an interest in Siena. Clearly, you could spend one, two or three nights there as well.<BR><BR>At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you need books. Lots of the, Big picture-filled books. Your heart will guide you on the decisions that lay out the main skeleton of your trip. And many voices here will help with the fine details.<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:36 AM
up

up, for Joy<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:50 AM
jsplitz

Florence is such an amazing city, you will love it. When you are there, make sure to eat at Trattoria Del Carmine, in Piazza del Carmine...absolutley divine. And if you want a nice B&B try Casa Pucci, and get a room in the courtyard.<BR><BR>HAve'nt been to Milan, will be there soon though, tell me all about it

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Janda

Hello,<BR> I have been to Italy 2 times. The last time was last Oct. We stayed outside of Milan at Castello de Luzzano. It is called a agriculture holiday. It is a vineyard and winery.You can look them up online. We throughly enjoyed getting to know rural Italy. The people at Luzzano where wonderful. You have to have a car to go there of course. It was a bit hard to find, but boy was it ever worth it. It is about a 30-45 minute drive or so from Milano. <BR>From there I would go to Florence for a few days. You can go on day trips to Pisa or Sienna from there. I think Venice deserves several days. If this is going to be your only trip to Italy I would go there for sure. It is pure magic.<BR> Have a wonderful trip. I am sure you will. I love Italy !!<BR><BR> Janda Otavalo

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:03 PM
sylvie

Joy,<BR>If opera is one of your pleasures you might squeeze in Verona while making your way between cities. S

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Mike

For 10 days, spend several days in Florence and the rest in Tuscany. Base yourself around Siena or Singlunga and explore the hill towns. Find your favorite hill town (mine were Montalcino and Pienza). Make sure you end your trip in Tuscany because you won't want to leave. Driving is a must to explore Tuscany.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:29 PM

topping<BR>