Food Budget for Italy

Search

Food Budget for Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food Budget for Italy

I'm trying to do some budgeting and was wondering what I should budget for lunch and dinner meals in Italy. Were travelling late September to Rome, Sorrento, Venice and Florence. I know this question is very subjective, but I'm just trying to get an estimate. Generally just looking for approximate costs of inexpensive to mid range restaurants. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM

Very hard to say. Are you the type for a sit down meal at lunch or a slice of pizza on the fly? Do you drink a lot with meals? How much do you eat? My husband and I spend around 65 give or take for lunch and dinner. We never eat in high end restaurants. Some days we had a slice of pizza for lunch or a sandwich or salad. Some days lunch was a pasta dish. We always had a glass or a half a carafe of wine with dinner. Always house. I do not eat a first and second course for dinner my husband usually does. I think around 65 should cover you. That may not cover the after dinner gelato or pastry.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can easily control your dining costs. Most restaurants, especially in cities, post their menus (with prices) outside for people to peruse. If you splurge on one meal, you can scrimp on another. We're not 'foodies,' so we don't seek out Michelin-starred dining or the latest hip/trendy spot.

We don't think about it much while we're there, but I feel we spend about the same amount as we would if we dined out on similar food for lunch and dinner at home. One aspect that can be cheaper (for us) is wine. Most nights we're happy to order the house wine. At lunch we have a bottle of mineral water which can be cheaper than two individual beverages (certainly Coke and the like) although tap water in Italy is OK.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:45 AM

It really depends how hard you look.

In the north of Italy (the most expensive regions) there a work lunches which include 2 or 3 courses from a restricted menu plus a small caraffe of wine (250ml) plus coffee at roughly Euro 12.50 to 15.00. Central Italy may be cheaper and the south certainly. More central and touristic areas may be in the region of Euro 20 to 25. Dinner may be Euro 30 to 35.

This is what an Italian would pay knowing where to eat well by economically.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:07 AM

#1 Parma ham is also known as ‘prosciutto’. As a rule, ‘prosciutto’ is served asappetizer or as a component ofmeat platter before dinner.
#2 FortheItalians‘MinestroneSoup’isaterm that implies a great variety of different soups on basis of beans, vegetables, potato, or rice.Onions, beans, carrots, tomatoesand celeryare unalterablyamongtheingredients one can find in various minestrones. MinestroneSoupcanbethefirst course or an alternative to risotto or pasta.
#3 Gelatoisanindigenousandmaybethesweetestdish in traditional Italian food. Itispopular amongtourists, whocometoItaly. Thispopularityisnotfornothing.The taste of a real Italian Gelato is twice better thanice-cream, even the most delicious one.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:07 AM

#4 Lampredotto isasmallbunwithboiled pork chitterlings (there can be beef chitterlings as well). Therecipeofthisdishappeared in the days of Michelangelo. Inthoseancient days, itwasthedishforpoorpeople. Nowadaysitisthetraditional dishoftheregion.
#5 Risotto‘Diablo’withcuttlefishinkis definitely the dish to cook to surprise your kinsfolk and guests. Thisisaveryspecialrisotto.First of all, thankstocuttlefishink it turns into a black risotto. Thisunusualingredienthasalightfishytaste. You can add more cuttlefishink or lessaccording to your taste.