Food and Fado in Lisbon/Porto

Sep 28th, 2019, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Food and Fado in Lisbon/Porto

Going to be in Lisbon for only a few days in late October, so want to make the most of it.
Would like to do a special dinner and someone told me the Jose Avillez restaurant was awful: very touristy and overpriced for not good food. We may even cancel our reservation for his restaurant in Porto! So wondering where folks have loved their dinners for a slightly more reasonable price in Lisbon and Porto.
Also would love to hear FADO somewhere. Was recommended to O Faio, but they're closed on Sunday night. Are there other places that are worth it and open on Sundays? Don't think we want to be up until midnight ( we are seniors).
Thanks so much.
Sep 29th, 2019, 05:09 PM

If it's of interest, please take a look at my TR where I wrote about every restaurant we visited at the beginning of September.(Porto - Coimbra - Lisbon : Trip report. 18 ladies and 8 full days!) Maybe you'll find something interesting there.

As far as Fado goes, we loved Parreirinha de Alfama (email reservations). I would not go anywhere else if. I thoguth it was great. The atmosphere is terific. it's a tiny place in a vaulted restaurant. I think it only seats about 30 people. Atmosphere.. performers... top notch. Very intimate. I was traveling with seniors ) and we stayed until past 11pm (show starts around 9~9.30ish). And we didn't want to leave. They had 1 younger female singer, then 1 male, and then the best for last, 1 older singer. Have fun!
Oct 9th, 2019, 05:05 PM

Hello, we just got back from Lisbon this week and enjoyed 3 meals that I would recommend: Bastardo Restaurant (Rua da Betesga 3), Figus restaurant (Praca da Figueira 17), and Pizzeria Lisboa (Rua dos Duques de Braganca 5, which is one of Jose Avillez's restaurants). We did find in Lisbon doing some research into where to eat paid off as there are a lot of tourist trap restaurants everywhere.
Oct 12th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Trying to do research ahead. Hearing great things and learning a lot. Leaving in 2 weeks!
Oct 12th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Good Food in Lisboa

We stayed in the Chiado area close to Prac Luis de Camoes close to the metro. A few recommendations: Do not, at any cost, miss gellato at Santini; for an eclectic and cool meal - Taberna da Rua das Flores - no resverations and it is tough to get in because of a constant line. But worth it. Also, do hit the TimeOut covered food court - a lot of foodie stalls there. If you want local cuisine, try Casa da India (it's not Indian food); for a decent middle eastern there is a fine Israeli joint called Tantura. For a pricey and top shelf experience, there is Bistro 100 especially if you fancy creative cocktails. Forget the overhyped Avillez places - we wasted $200 at his Porto rest. If you are in in the Alfama area and want to sample another facet of Portuguese food - from Africa, hike up to Cantinho do Aziz - it is a walk and the area is not the plushest as it is domnated by immigrants. Of coyrse, go as many times as possible for the pasteis to Manteigaria.
Oct 12th, 2019, 01:37 PM

Porto food

Also in Porto Casa Guedes for the best pork sandwich and Boa Bao for a really nice Thai meal. If close to the Gaia area by the port winery warehouses, go for brunch/lunch to 7g Roaster. Skip the places along the river.
Oct 12th, 2019, 02:26 PM

We were in Porto and Lisbon a few weeks ago. Our favorite dinner in Lisbon was at La Buvette da Me dgua, and we ate lunch twice at Fabrica Coffee Roasters. The 'iced tea' is a must. Favorite gelato was at Pau de Canela.
In Porto, we enjoyed tapas at Caldeireiros.