Search

Food allergy translation help needed in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:25 AM
ltr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food allergy translation help needed in Italy

We are leaving tomorrow for Italy. My four year old grandson is allergic to almonds and sesame. He has an epi pen but we would like a translation card to help at restaurants. I used babelfish but know that sometimes it is not accurate. Since he will be out during the day with both his parents and grandparents, I wrote it in first person. Is this correct ?
Io sono allergico alle mandorle e sesamo in qualsiasi forma. Sarebbe possibile assicurarsi che io non sono serviti?Grazie
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 12:32 PM

Is is possible that your grandson is allergic to other kinds of nuts and seeds that are commonly used in Italian cooking in Italy but for which he has not been tested? For example, pine nuts, chestnuts and hazelnuts are very popular in northern Italy, and sunflower oil is commonly used in some places. Maybe it would be better if you had an allergy warning card in Italian that told food servers that your grandchild should not be served any nuts or any seeds in any form. There are several websites where you can get a perfect translation printed out in card form that servers are used to seeing. I think you are better using one of those cards from an allergy website than relying on a translation from a travel advice board.

When I saw your post I also wanted to alert you to the fact that many Italian breadsticks and breads have sesame seeds on them and that these items are often already on the table in an italian restuarant when you sit down. Since your grandson is so young it would be natural for him to reach for these things, so you should check out the breadbasket carefully. If you eat at very casual places with cafeteria-like seating or shared tables, be sure to look at the table when you sit down for any stray seeds! Somebody might have been munching breadsticks just before you.

I know many people who have traveled with allergies and they say everyone is very kind and helpful, so I don't think you need to worry if you have the cards. But when I saw your post I wanted to make sure you thought about these other things.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM

I would suggest you go online to one of the many sites that will supply food allergy card translation cards. Some of those will send them by email so you can print them out yourself. One such is https://allergytranslation.com/cards/ Have a wonderful and safe trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 04:40 PM
ltr
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. He has gone through extensive testing of every nut that they had available due to his severe reaction to almonds and sesame. Luckily it is limited to those so far, but you never know when something will suddenly react, hence the epi pen. He is very aware of his allergy and even told the teacher in his TK class last week that he could not eat the almond cookie they had to celebrate Chinese New Year but appreciate the reminder about the sesame on breadsticks.
I am off to order the translate card now.

Thanks again
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 10:03 AM

It's an interesting set of cards. I have been planning to go to Asia but with the corona virus I am not going anywhere near that place. But it's going to be useful for me just because I am allergic and I like to travel. I do have a bracelet that says that I am allergic to shell fish and some forms of nuts but cards like these can be very useful. I have learned to live with my allergies but it wasn't always that easy. When I was a young kid I had a strong reaction to shell fish and I ended up in the hospital. They treated my rash and breathing problems but they sent me to a lab to get tested for potential allergens. After about a week I got a list of allergens I was allergic to in the mail. It has been very helpful because I didn't have anything so severe again. So yeah I feel like it's important to get tested on time.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 9th, 2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 10:04 AM

The spread of the coronavirus in northern Italy might be a problem as well.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Underhill
The spread of the coronavirus in northern Italy might be a problem as well.
Italy in its entirety is now under quarantine
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 01:47 PM

The original post was from 2018.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by progol
The original post was from 2018.
As I see people hell bent on traveling even now, I don't care.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by menachem
Italy in its entirety is now under quarantine
We're not under quarantine, which would mean we were confined to our homes. We can't leave the towns where we are resident without a valid reason. Vacations are not a valid reason. I don't think there is a restriction on people entering Italy. Within our towns, we can circulate freely, but any sort of public assembly, religious or cultural, is suspended. Weddings and funerals are forbidden. (I don't know how they dispose of you if you die. My husband says maybe they put the coffin under the bed.)

Shops have rules about restricting the number of customers inside, restaurants must avoid close contact between diners, and must close at 6 PM.

I certainly wouldn't advise coming here at the moment. My daughter and granddaughter were supposed to come here in May, but I've told them they shouldn't consider it.

Last edited by bvlenci; Mar 10th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 05:52 PM
ltr
Original Poster

We made to Italy and back safely two years ago, and did not have any issues. The pictures are popping up on my facebook memories this week and we are having fun remembering all the great times. Had planned on going to London and Paris with them this spring, but we all know how that is going.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 02:36 AM

We are now on a much more restricted (nation wide) lockdown, due to last for two weeks. All shops, bars, and restaurants are closed, except for groceries, pharmacies, and newsvendors.

You can leave home to go to work, although, where possibile, working from home is recommended. You can leave home to care for relatives who are not self-sufficient. You can shop for food, medicine, or newspapers and magazines.

You can take a walk, solo, not with other people, and you can walk your dog. You can't associate with others when away from home, except as necessary for work or shopping.

​​​​​​​Obviously, it would be impossibile to visit as a tourist just now.

Originally Posted by bvlenci
We're not under quarantine, which would mean we were confined to our homes. We can't leave the towns where we are resident without a valid reason. Vacations are not a valid reason. I don't think there is a restriction on people entering Italy. Within our towns, we can circulate freely, but any sort of public assembly, religious or cultural, is suspended. Weddings and funerals are forbidden. (I don't know how they dispose of you if you die. My husband says maybe they put the coffin under the bed.