ITALY: Seafood Allergy

Mar 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

ITALY: Seafood Allergy

All,
We are traveling to Italy at the end of the month. My wife has a very severe allergy to Shell fish. I realize all Italian regions offer different kinds of food, and shell fish might not be as prevelant in different regions of Italy.

My quetions is, are the menus clear enough to tell whether a dish contains seafood. Also, if you have encountered this same problem do restaurants understand this issue, and offer suggestions of what the person w/allergies to eat. Thanks
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:27 AM

I printed a bunch of small cards that say "Sono allergico ai crostacei." I also have the list of specific shellfish that I am allergic to.
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Somewhere on the internet you can order cards too that come laminated with "I am allergic to shell fish" on them in various languages and pictures of the shellfish.
Mar 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Hi -I had the same issue (it miraculously went away!). With some searching here and on some allergy sites on the web, I found the appropriate language to put on a card. Then I had a friend write it for me in Italian. I printed this on an index and carried it in my purse. I only needed to use it once and the waiter read the card and helped me find appropriate items on the menu.

Here is the card text:

INFORMAZIONE IMPORTANTE PER IL RISTORANTE

Sono gravemente allergica ai crostacei (aragosta, gambero, molluschi, mitili, granchio, ostriche, ecc.).

Si tratta di una condizione medica molto seria. Potrei morire dopo aver ingerito questo tipo di cibo, cibo preparato con utensili che hanno toccato crostacei, cibo con olio di crostacei, estratti, brodi, ecc. E’ importante ricordare che questo ingrediente potrebbe essere presente anche nei cibi comprati gia’ fatti.

Se mangio crostacei o qualunque cibo che è stato cucinato con crostacei o che ha toccato crostacei, avrò bisogno dell'attenzione immediata medica.

La prego gentilmente di non darmi cibo che potrebbe contenere o che ha toccato crostacei.

If you have an attack:
AIUTO! Sto avendo una crisa di shock anafilattico. Per favore, chiamate subito un’ambulanza

Here is the text in English:

I am allergic to shellfish - shrimp, prawns, lobster, crab.... I cannot eat shellfish or food that is prepared in the same pan as shellfish. If I eat shellfish - shrimp, prawns, lobster, crab - I will need medical attention and I may die in restaurant. The second part just says: I need medical attention. Please call an ambulance and say I am in analphlactic (sp) shock.

Have a fun trip!
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas, i would have never thought of the card thing. Would def. not get lost in translation that way if i tried to speak it.
Mar 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Hi caltobello, have two cards in case one gets lost or the waiter takes it into the kitchen so the chef can read it (always a good idea btw) and forgets to return it to you. Take the cards to Kinko's and get them laminated so they stay in good condition. You could each carry one of the cards just to be on the safe side.

BTW, I have an Italian friend in Italy who now has the same allergy your wife has (he first encountered this in SF while we were having dinner with him..very scary!). Although he misses to shellfish he does not have a problem ordering other types of food without shellfish.

Best wishes and have a fun and safe trip!