Fondue Restaurant in Paris

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Kristi

Fondue Restaurant in Paris

On our last trip to Paris (about 1 1/2 years ago) my husband and I stumbled upon a little fondue restaurant. It had a "swiss chalet" style front, exposed wooden beams in the small dining room, and a huge wheel of cheese in the front window slowly melting for fondue. We walked there from our hotel, which was on the Boulevard St. Germain in (I think) the 6th arondisemont. Can anybody help me remember the name of this place? It may have been a tourist trap, but I remember having a really good, fun, pretty inexpensive meal. Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Maybe?

Well, this is not in the 6th, but....

La Ferme Saint Hubert -- Gen. Charles de Gaulle once quipped, "How can one govern a country with more than 300 different varieties of cheese?" You can sample some of the very best at this charming fromagerie specializing in fondue, roquefort tastes and, of course, wines to enhance the flavor. Open Monday-Thursday noon-3 p.m. and 7-11 p.m., Friday and Saturday until 11:30 p.m. $$$. Most major credit cards. 21 Rue Vignon (8th), phone 01-4742-7920.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Kristi

thanks for the info -- but I don't think that was it. Sounds a little more price-y than I remember, and I don't think there was so much variety in the cheese selection! Any other ideas?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Lesli

I did a search on this forum for "fondue paris" and fopund the following:

"Alexandre's, alongside the St Sulpice Church in the Latin Quarter. It's a fondue place - which means I wasn't too eager to go there - but it was really great. It's small and lit only by candles. We had beef, which we cooked in the fondue pot at our table, and also bread which we dipped into the cheese fondue. Of course, the wine was plentiful too, and I'm not really a wine drinker but I enjoyed it. A friend recommended this to us and it was worth the visit."

There were a few other hits as well, which you may want to check out if this is still not what you're looking for.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 03:56 AM
francesca

There's one on rue de Canettes, between blvd St Germain and St Sulpice, in the 6th. Can't think of the name, but the Pages Jaunes web site will be able to find if you type in the street and restaurant under category. Sadly, the best and most elegant fondue place has closed : La Val d'Isere on rue de Berri.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 07:46 AM
Kristi

Thanks for the info Francesca -- that sounds like what I remember. One question, what is the Pages Jaunes web site? I did a search but couldn't find it -- thanks!

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 08:19 AM
francesca

Looks like it might be Le Montagnard. Check out the Pages Jaunes site for a photo, just to be sure. http://wf.pagesjaunes.fr.