Spain "must sees"

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 02:17 PM
Tom

Spain "must sees"

Heading to Spain as follows:

3 nights Madrid (hotel villa real), 1 night Toledo, 3 nights seville, 2 nights Granada and 1 night Ronda.

Appreciate any can't miss sights, besides the usual ones and any restaurant recommendations. Also, not sure on day trips from Madrid. Segovia, Salamanca?? Where should we go? Thanks

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Monica

Hello Tom,

Your plans sound great. I've been to Spain twice (1994 and 1996). We enjoyed day trips from Madrid to Segovia (highly recommended), Avila, and an overnight stay in Salamanca. From Seville, we visited Arcos de la Frontera and Jerez de la Frontera (where the famous sherry is made). I loved Ronda! Great place to visit. Other choices from Madrid would be the Valley of the Fallen and San Lorenzo El Escorial where the royalty is buried. Beautiful palace!

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 03:47 PM
Art

Is there a train or a bus to get to Segovia. Does it also go near El-Escoral?
Thanks

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 04:22 PM
MaureenGP

Can't help you with Seville and Ronda, but the must-sees in the other cities would include:
Madrid: The Prado (if you like museums, of course); the Royal Palace, and the Plaza Mayor. The plaza is particularly fun at night, and Madrid is a city for nightowls!
Granada: Obviously, the Alhambra and the Generalife are the highlights of a trip to Granada. We were fortunate to be able to tour the Alhambra at night, as it is open from 10 p.m. until midnight on Tuesday, Thursday and I think on Saturdays (check this out), and it was enchanting. Then we returned to tour in the daytime, which is an entirely different effect. Also in Granada, visit the Cathedral and the Royal Chapel where you can see the tomb of Ferdinand and Isabella.
Toledo: The cathedral is magnificent! Also worth seeing the El Greco painting, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz. If you have time, there is an El Greco Museum, and several synagogues in the old Jewish Quarter.
As you are in Madrid for a brief time, you can't plan too many day trips. I would find it difficult to choose between Segovia, Avila and El Escorial. Each has its merits. Segovia has the Roman Aqueduct and Alcazar, and is a charming city, and Avila has the medieval walls, its cathedral and the convents of St. Teresa. To really appreciate El Escorial, read up a bit on Spanish history, particularly Philip II. I suppose if I had to choose, it would be Segovia.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 09:10 PM
michele

Tom,
In Granada, the Alhambra, hands down the most impressive sight in my travels in Spain and the Middle East ( includes Syria, Lebanon, and , okay not really ME, but Islamic) Turkey. You could also take a day trip , along with the hundreds of others, from Seville to Cordoba, and see the Mesquita, an incredible mosque/cathedral. Cordoba is enchanting at night, the day is another story( lots of daytrippers. Maybe a late afternoon or early evening bus ride..?)

M.
PS Madrid--great seafood, expensive..La
Trainera. Lagasca 60 Tel: 576 05 75. Not fancy, just superb.

Seville--extraordianry tapas, nothing like the usual places : Casablanca, Zarogoza 50 Tel: 011-34- 954-22-46-98. Near Plaza Nueva--easy to miss! Don't. The favorite of the King and matadors.

Enjoy Spain.
Michele

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:01 AM
Paulo

Art: We haven't been to Segovia but I've firm info that the best transportation means is the Autocares Sepulvedana bus with departures at Paseo de la Florida #11 (metro: Principe Pio). This is faster than the 2hr train.

To my knoledge, all buses from Madrid to Segovia, Avila and Salamanca pass relatively "near" the El Escorial and Valle de los Caidos but they don't stop (at most they would leave you in the iddle of nowhere on the divided higway). To the El Escorial one would have to take an Autocarres Herranz bus (leaving every 30 minutes from Moncloa (metro: Moncloa) or the C8a train from Atocha or Chamartin stations. Both bus and train take about an hour. I don't think one may go on from the El Escorial to Segovia, though.

Paulo

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 08:45 AM
Paulo

Tom: With only 3 days in Madrid and considering you're spending a night in Toledo, I think you should concentrate on Madrid and leave day trips to another opportunity. I estimate that the total time from your hotel to the bus station, buying the bus ticket, ride to Salamanca, taxi to the older center and then back to your hotel would eat up about 7 hours. To Segovia i would guess the situation would be only a bit better, say 5 1/2 hours. IMO this is too much to spend on a 3-day stay in Madrid. To the sites listed by Maureen, which are certainly a must, I would add the Thyssen Museum and the Monasteries de las Descalzas and de la Encanacion. On top of the sites, there's a lot of strolling to be done (Gran Via, Calle Mayor and surroundings, Plaza de la Cibelles, etc.).

For a full report on Madrid, refer to
http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...ity=&active=5&

Paulo