Fold-up duffle for sourvenir purchases?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to buy a very lightweight duffle that will fold up to a small size in my suitcase that I can use to bring back purchases that I make along the way. Am thinking about something that would be carry-on size. Lightweight nylon, perhaps? Any ideas where I might find such a thing without spending a fortune? I've looked at Walmart and Target and LL Bean and didn't see what I had in mind. (I've got TWO trips coming up in the next three months - one to Africa and one to Central Europe - and I just KNOW I'm going to be bring home more than I take with me!)
Karen
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karen-

Try the Baggallini totes (I bought mine from ebags.com). They come in various sizes and colors, and they fold into a small pouch when not in use.

kvadragon
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM

What about a small "gym bag" from a sports store? I have a black nylon nike bag that I use for just this purpose. It's not as high-end as some people would prefer, but it folds up to next to nothing in my suitcase.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Try Magellans..they have very lightweight nylon ones. They have a web page and catalog.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I second the baggallini (sp) bags that fold into their own pocket. I bought mine at the Container Store about a year ago.

I include an extra lock in my bag in case I have to check it with my other luggage. When I have, I just sent all my dirty clothes home in it and put more valuable items in my proper suit case.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM
aggiemom

Ooooh moldy - good tip on putting the dirty clothes in the duffel and good stuff in the suitcase. Why didn't I think of that??

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Look in the camping sections of WalMart or Target and get a very lightweight nylon bag. Use it to send your laundry home and pack your souvenirs in the luggage for better protection. We have bought bags in Paris from time to time.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I got mine from Le Sport Sac. They have a web site.
Judy
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I saw a packable duffle from Eagle Creek that was a good size and cost about $30. The Eagle Creek packable tote looks pretty good too. http://www.eaglecreek.com/packables.html
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always wait and buy something during the trip. Serves the same function and makes for a great souvenier as well!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM

I first heard about baggalinis right here on fodors, on a thread titled something like "Baggalinis saved my a$$ in London." Piqued my curiosity.

Now I'm a convert. I always bring at least one on any trip. They are very well made, strong construction, heavy-duty zippers, and so many great colors it's hard to choose.

I put my dirty laundry, shoes, books, anything replaceable in the baggalini when I'm checking it, and the new purchases in my suitcase.

You can buy them online or go to their website and find out what stores in your area carry them.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! I checked out the Baggallini's online and they look really good. I had in mind more of a round duffle, but maybe the Baggallini tote (the large zip-out one) would be even better. Has anyone tried both? The Baggallini looks like it folds up very small. Can you get quite a bit in it?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and I too love the idea of putting the dirty laundry in the tote and the souvenirs in my regular suitcase! How very clever. (I would have thought of it on my own... in about 5 years.)
LOL.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Based on reviews here I bought the Bagallini. It folds up tiny but you can stuff the thing full! I have the larger one and Like the fact that it has a huge opening and lots of room. I have used more traditonal totes in the past and find this works better.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM

althom, I have the large tote and the smaller tote. The large one is HUGE. We went to Florence for the weekend and got all our stuff for both of us into it.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM

We travel overseas quite a bit , and years ago I found a nylon bag that squeezes into a 6 x 4 inch bag going over....when returning, all our dirty clothes go into it, and it holds a LOT and becomes "about" 18 x 12 and we really STUFF it full. It is a rather flimsy thing, but we check it and it has always arrived safe and sound. THis frees up the suitcases(24 inch lightweight) for purchases, brochures etc...though we don't buy much when traveling. I haven't been able to find anything in the past couple of years like it...but am sure you could find something small at WalMart etc that would serve this purpose.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Does the bagolini fold up into itself and have a zipper? I use a le sportsac that folds very small and fits into a seperate cosmetic size bag. I ususally don't even bother with the bag abd fold it into a ziplock. It opens up to a really large size ..which I usually stuff with dirty clothes and check through, carrying my good buys in my carry-on!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Jody, I have a Sportsac that sounds just like yours, and it's at least 20 yrs. old. It has served me well!

I just bought a Baggallini and haven't used it yet. I haven't looked at it since I brought it home, but I think it folds into itself.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Baggalinis fold into themselves and zip up. The pouch becomes an outside pocket (that zips shut) when they are open.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

I think this is the Baggallini bag everyone's talking about, right? It looks great and, yes, apparently zips into that little outer pocket.

http://www.ebags.com/baggallini/zip_...?modelid=18648

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -