Search

Fog in London?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:26 AM
sister

Fog in London?

My husband I want to fly into London Gatwick in october. His co-worker has told him how terrible the fog is and October is not a good time to fly because of it. I have never heard of that before. I know pilots are trained to use their instruments when the fog is bad, but I don't believe it is a problem. Can anyone offer any insight?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Ann

This has been fairly widely discussed in this forum before, but here goes:<BR><BR>On my first trip to London in 1997 Heathrow was closed due to fog. We were the last plane to land at that particular time. The fog was so thick we couldn’t see the end of the wings.<BR><BR>Since then I’ve been back 2-3 times per year, during each of the seasons, and have stayed for as long as a month a time. I’ve never seen any fog since that first trip.<BR><BR>It’s just not that common anymore, particularly since the air quality from smoke and exhaust emissions has been greatly reduced over the past few decades. Of course London is built around a river and I’m sure that fog is still an occurrence, but the days of Jack the Ripper foggy nights are pretty much a thing of the past.<BR><BR>October in England is beautiful, as a rule.<BR><BR>Your husband’s co-worker is a trouble maker.<BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Lori

We go to London every year in the spring and have not seen any fog .. honest. have also been in Sept. and December and have not seen any at that time either.<BR>I suppose like anyplace else it's going to get foggy now and then but it's not anything that is constant. Airports in the US get fogged in now and then too, it's just weather happening. Years ago fog was a problem in London, but as time has gone on and industrialization has changed, emissions controls, etc have taken place and things have gotten lots better. Relax & enjoy your trip and don't worry about things like fog.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:34 AM
jpm

I remember a trip to London through Gatwick 2 years ago. The fog was so thick that I couldn't see the ground until the wheels hit...I am amazed that we landed.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
sister

Thanks all (especially Ann..from the grave?!). I thought the same thing. Seemed like "bar talk" to me. I say we go!!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
janis

Your husnabd's co-worker has been reading/watching too many Sherlock Holmes and Jack the Ripper books/movies.<BR><BR>The killer fogs were primarily due to soft coal which is very smoky. This type of coal was banned decades ago. It is amazing how the bldgs cleaned after scores or hundreds of years of grimy coal smoke now stay clean.<BR><BR>There is FAR more fog in my inland California neighborhood than in London.