fodors or frommers guidebook?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide. Which one do you think is better?
Thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For all of Europe, or a specifc country?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

For Italy.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 06:37 PM

This is a case of apples and oranges, in my opinion. You need to look at the two books and make your own decision. Fodors is great because it's printed on slick paper and is illustrated with wonderful photographs that help fire the imagination.

On the other hand, Frommers has more in-depth coverage of accommodations and probably covers more territory within the country. It all depends what help you are looking for.

Where travel books are concerned, the more the merrier, at least before you leave for the trip and have to make decisions about how much weight you want to tolerate.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM

I prefer Fodors, but the decision is a personal one based on personal preferences.

I like the Fodors format - a very clear recommendation regarding what to see if you have 3 days, 5 days, or whatever, and the rest describes things according to the routes you might take. It's very easy to follow and to use.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 10:45 PM

i buy both guide books when planning for a trip. frommer's devotes more space to hotel and restaurant description and info. very useful when planning where to stay and dine. however, frommers does not have any pictures or maps and uses newsprint paper. fodors has colored pictures and very user friendly. if i were to pack just one in my luggage for a trip, i'll take the fodors. btw, i also buy eyewitness guide, lots of background info on a place and details and has nice colored pictures. i recently discovered cadogan (i got the idea from stududley), lots of text, some pictures and i agree with stu, i like its being opinionated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:31 AM
Jed

Fodors publishes several different guides.

http://www.fodors.com/shop/?lid=Shop&lpos=top_nav
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM

For Italy you might also want to look at Rick Steves.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM

I prefer EyeWitness Guides
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM

Another vote for EyeWitness Guides.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM

My guidebook test is go to a bookstore and using several different books, look up a question that I already know the answer to. This gives a good idea for how easy it is to find the information, if the layout is clear and concise, how good is the indexing, etc.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:47 AM

Lonely Planet produces what are, by far, the best guidebooks to Italy, except perhaps for information related to hotels and restaurants. But they have, by a very substantial margin, much better information with respect to sites, transport, etc.

Since I usually select my hotel(s) prior to departure, I don't see the need to have that info with me in a guidebook. And for restaurants, I usually print the info from the Fodors and Frommers websites for free for those restaurants that appeal to me.

The maps in both Fodors and Frommers are generally useless, while the LP maps are spot-on.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM

I tend to use Frommers as an initial general source, and have adapted to Steves in regards to easily understandable first-timers self guided walking tours.

I also strongly agree that "the more the merrier", and will spend an hour or so every other week-end in large chain book sores (in Toronto we have "Chapters" and "Indigo&quotleafing through any number of up-to-date guide books, as well as at least 2 hours each day on this and other web-sights, (which addiction , if you are reading this post, you are probably both already aware of, and are suffering from!!)
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Pausanias

Of the two, I prefer Frommers. I have found the information to be more accurate -- but more importantly, the tone, while far from scholarly, is at least less glib on cultural and historic matters than Fodor's.

Both sometimes refer to highly refined people as having once had "stomping grounds." Does anyone think of, say, Virginia Wolfe as stomping about a particular piece of ground?

Lonely Planet is particularly good on logistics. Also helps steer you from more hyped spots that can disappoint.

I like Cadogan, but that is truly a book by book issue.

For clear descriptions of sites -- sometimes detailed tours -- Michelin Green.

Blue Guides for art history.

Don't understand the popularity of picture book guides. A sampling of photos is fine, but I want information, not pictures. I feel like the old guy in the New Yorker cartoon, at a magazine stand, surrounded by titles like "Look" and "Life". He says to the vendor, "I want a magazine I can read."

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM

I'm the editor of the Fodor's Gold Guide to Italy ... here are some admittedly biased but genuinely heartfelt thoughts on this subject:

First of all, there's more than one Fodor's guide to Italy. Our "See It Italy" guide is what a couple of the earlier comments refer to: it's printed on glossy paper and illustrated throughout with color photos. The book blends style and substance: It provides information about the primary sights throughout the country, as well as hotels, restaurants, shops, etc., and brings them to life with its photos. If you have the general idea that you'd like to visit Italy, but you're not sure precisely where you want to go and what you want to do, this is a great book to consult: it gives you a tangible sense of what makes each region special and provides enough hard information for you to get started on your planning. The best thing I can say about the book is that it captures the energy of Italy. As you flip through its pages, you can't help but get excited about the prospect of a trip.

The second Fodor's Italy guide is the Gold Guide -- the book that I edit. It's the one that's an "apples to apples" comparison with Frommer's and Lonely Planet: it's big, and it has detailed information about all aspects of an Italian vacation -- from booking a flight to choosing a restaurant to tipping your waiter.

I should say up front, I love our book the way a parent loves a favorite child. A tremendous amount of sweat and care has gone into it. The team of writers who work on it are all Italy-dwelling expats; they've chosen to live there because of their passion for the place, and they fill up the book with insights based on their personal experiences. This perspective is especially valuable when it comes to restaurants, hotels, shops, nightlife -- things where there's no substitute for a local's knowledge.

The Italy Gold Guide got a major overhaul for the 2006 edition -- it's a significantly different creature from books of previous years. We've added new features the likes of which you won't find in other guidebooks.

Scattered throughout are "In Focus" sections that bear some similarities to magazine articles: they take one subject, such as hiking in the Cinque Terre or exploring the ruins of ancient Rome, and examine it in depth, using photos, maps, and touches of graphic flare.

We also completely revamped the chapter introductions, adding photos, more detailed maps, and a section that puts "must-know" trip-planning information front and center -- whether it's how to go about seeing the Last Supper in Milan or the best thing to order in a Sicilian coffee bar.

There are other new elements in the book, but I'll only mention one more -- something that's easily overlooked and that I'm especially enthusiastic about. In each chapter, we have a section called "Voices of Italy," in which our writer interviews a native who has some special insight into the destination. In Venice, you hear from a husband-and-wife team that runs one of the city's oldest and best wine bars. They talk about the types of food they serve, the atmosphere of the place, its role in the day-to-day life of the neighborhood -- everything that makes Venetian wine bars a unique institution. In Naples, the architect who oversees the city's restoration projects identifies her favorite buildings and what makes them special. These interviews give you a real sense of Italy's people and places -- they're fun and informative at the same time. I still get a kick out of going back and rereading them.

So ... when you're in the bookstore comparing guides, keep an eye out for some of the things I've mentioned here -- not all of them may jump out at you at first glance, but they're the things that set our books apart.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:37 PM

That's a good descriptin from Doug, as I was wondering about some of those comments on the glossy paper as I knew they weren't.

In fact, Doug, if you are reading this, one thing I hate about the Fodors guidebooks of recent years is the cheap newsprint quality paper. In fact, I have not bought a couple just because of that. They never used to be that way and I think it is unacceptable quality for a book. These are the main basic Fodors guidebooks. Is your latest edition still on basically newsprint? I don't think other companies do that.

As for content, I like them both, and think Frommers is better for some places and Fodors for another. I can't really tell which I prefer for an area without looking at them in a bookstore and glancing through the sections to see how they compare in terms of history, stores, maps, and other things. I don't have a preference for Italy, but for example, preferred Frommers for Czech Republic but Fodors for Spain.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM

In November we went to Venice, and this month we are going to Rome. I looked at numerous guidebooks and am quite pleased with Fodor's "See It Italy." It is well organized, has color photos, and has plenty of practical information. The descriptions are not long and dry as in some guidebooks.

Woody
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM

I use both. Tear out the parts you want and cross -reference
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:36 PM

I have a B&B and everyyear I get to review many travel books left by our guests. I find Fodors and Frommers OK, but my personal best for an all-over Italy guide is the D&K eye-witness guide, easy to use, nice illustrations, thumb-nails of the best places in each region, although they do miss a lot of course as there is too much to cover in Italy. For in-depth region by region I think Cadogan guides are hard to beat in detail as well as history and culture, good background information.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM

D & K for sightseeing. Frommers AND Foders for lodging and restaurant info. and other useful travel information. The trip is costly, so why not buy 2 or 3 books?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -