Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodor's 2006 GB & London Guidebooks - we've been quoted!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently, an online friend let me know that he had noticed that I was quoted in the Fodor's Great Britain 2006 guidebook. So, I, of course, had to run right out to the bookstore and pick up a copy. I was also excited to see that I was in the London 2006 guidebook as well (same quote.)

But I also recognized a lot of other names from this forum so I thought I'd post the screen names of other's who made it into print - in case you want to pick up a copy for posterity.

Each chapter cover page starts out with 2 or 3 quotes, gathered from this forum.

Fodor's Great Britain 2006:

Chapter 1 - London
Kayb95
madameX
jenstu 13

Chapter 2 - The Southeast
John
nancy

Chapter 3 - The South
Marsha
Daisy54

Chapter 4 - The West Country
londonengland
socialworker

Chapter 5 - The Thames Valley
flanneruk
isabel

Chapter 6 - Shakespeare Country
bellini
janis

Chapter 7 - Bath & the Cotswolds
flanneruk
underpar

Chapter 8 - The Welsh Borders
caroline_edinburgh
AnnieMaki
Dominic

Chapter 9 - Wales
JC
kate

Chapter 10 - Lancashire and the Peaks
Nigello
adamhornets

Chapter 11 - The Lake District
KidsToLondon
Bob

Chapter 12 - East Anglia
vcl
MissPrism

Chapter 13 - Yorkshire
janis
Morgana

Chapter 14 - The Northeast
Ron
Gardyloo

Chapter 15 - Scotland
Tom
Artemis

Fodor's London 2006

Chapter 1 - Exploring London
flanneruk
Kayb95

Chapter 2 - Where to Eat
jenstu 13
JoeG
crefloors

Chapter 3 - Where to Stay
MelJ
Penny

Chapter 4 - Nightlife and the Arts
bronxgirl
littletraveler

Chapter 5 - Sports & the Outdoors
annettetx
Mushed

Chapter 6 - Shopping
Carla
madameX

Chapter 7 - Side Trips from London
bellini
Spygirl

Congratulations to all who made it into print.

Cheers,
Kay

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM

How many of the contributors whose intellectual property Fodors has pirated have been banned from making any further contributions to this site? I can recognise at least two.

Copyright 2006 CS Enterprises Ltd. All reproduction forbidden without the explicit permission of the poster.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM

CotswoldScouser I had a similar thought about names that we see no more. However if I am reading the Subscriber's Agreement correctly Fodor's has the copyright on everything on its site. At least the contributions of our friends have been acknowledged.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Very interesting - quotes from many great posters!

Enjoy!

Gayle

(I don't know about the copyright stuff - anybody an expert?)
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Interesting indeed, and I wonder if the quotes were re-reproduced here whether that would violate the rules. Where's a lawyer when you need one?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Are you kidding!!! How many more lawyers can WE possibly NEED???!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM

How does one get banned from this site?
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Fodors reserves the right to use messages on the boards in any way they see fit, it is in the FAQ. By using the boards we agree to the terms.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, here is the fine print for the lawyers in the crowd!

<i>Subscriber hereby grants the Online Service Provider the non-exclusive right without limitation to edit, copy, publish and distribute any material made available on the Online Services by Subscriber, including but not limited to any material posted by Subscriber on the Web site's bulletin boards and forums, and any email queries submitted by Subscriber to the Online Service Provider, including without limitation publish and distribute such material on the Web Site and in any print publications published and distributed by Online Service Provider or any of its affiliates. Specifically, without limitation, the Online Service Provider may from time to time reproduce selected Subscriber email queries on its bulletin boards or forums so that other subscribers may respond hereto. </i>

http://www.fodors.com/about/subagree/

I have won several photo contests and the same thing often applies: you are signing over your rights for them to use your photos. It's an easy way for publications to get quality photos for free. I check those agreements carefully, sometimes they say they will give you credit, or even money if they use your stuff, sometimes they don't.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM

This is a feature in all Fodors latest books, I've seen a lot of them. Kind of makes you want to have a reasonable screenname.

I think any website that exists with a public forum says they can do what they want with your postings and that they own them (not you).
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Whoa, my name in print!
Soooooo excited!
Any chance you can tell me what I said, or do I need to buy a copy??
I'm in the Yorkshire bit.
M
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How interesting that Fodor's guidebook for Great Britain has 12 chapters for England and 1 for Scotland.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Morgana, your quote was:

&quot;Robin's Hood Bay is very picturesque. No cars allowed down the very steep main street...leave it all at the top of the hill. Wear flat shoes! Don't just walk along the main street, but explore the little alleys. A path runs along the coastline... An hour or so is all you will need, unless you get waylaid by the teashops.&quot;
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What is the actual publication date? Today I went to both Borders and Barnes &amp; Noble and neither one had them in stock - nor even in the computers - yet. All the brand new Frommers title were shelved, as was the Fodors Ireland 2006 which also has several fodorite quotes.

I did think it's interesting that a couple of &quot;quotees&quot; are good enough to cite in the books but not good enough to post on here. Also, a few of the quotes are from folks who haven't posted in a year or more.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Looks like I've been quoted about Wales. Don't remember ever saying anything about Wales. I wonder what I said!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

janisj, publication date is 2006. I found both the GB and London books at Barnes &amp; Noble.

Kate, your quote was:

&quot;Portmeirion, close to Harlech, is a must-see - it was a brainchild of an...Englishman who built [Italian-style buildings] on land overlooking an estuary. The...whole place is like a fantasy world. You can rent some of the houses.&quot;
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I know it is the 2006 edition - I was asking the actual pub. date. But since it is in B&amp;N where you are - they must be rolling out regionally. In this area neither the London nor GB have been stocked yet.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Question: Do they credit you by screen name or by your non-virtual name?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:07 AM
vcl

Oh boy, a published author at last! I, too, wonder what I said.

Well, I guess they'll sell at least 45 copies.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I have seen my name in print, but then I am a published author. However, though they have every right to quote any of our postings, it would be a nice courtesy if they emailed and said something like &quot;..thank you for your contributions to our forums. We like what you had to say, and we'll be quoting you in our upcoming edition of Fodor's XYZ, 2006&quot; or something. They would sell more copies of books that way too.

How exciting for you Kay - and all of you - for being quoted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -