COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fodorites please help...Spain or Germany New Years...

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:40 AM
Natalie

Fodorites,
My husband and I would like to spend New Years in Spain or Germany. More specifically we plan to go there Dec 26 until Jan 9.
We have friends in Germany we can stay with, in Freiburg, how cold does it get there at that time, is there a lot to do?
And I have not been to Spain in about ten years, so if someone can held pick a hotel 4 to 5 stars in Madrid that does not attract big tours groups...
Please help..

Natalie

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 12:21 AM
tothetop

any suggestions for Natalie?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:05 PM
tothetop

Tothetop

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:12 PM
Robert

DO NOT GO TO SPAIN...STICK TO GERMANY...YOU MIGHT GET INJURED...READ THE POST BELOW TITLED WARNING DO NOT GO TO SPAIN...

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:28 PM
Cory

Hi Natalie! I would choose Spain over Germany because the spaniards are warm, friendly people. I would look into the following hotels in Madrid: Ritz, Palace, Villa Real, Wellington, Husa Princesa, Villa Magna, Miguel Angel. A few years ago, we spent Christmas week in Madrid, it was magnificent. Even though I like Germany, I would not want to spend New Year's there. Go to Spain instead.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:15 PM
Lori

Natalie,
I agree with Cory Spain is great during Christmas and New Year's try the Husa Princesa, it is a good hotel, we stayed there last year. Also Spain is not as cold as Germany, but I heard Germany is also beautiful during Christmas

Lori