Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying Virgin Atlantic - what's your experience w/ carry-on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering about the 13 lb. (6 kilo) weigh limit on the carry-on. Does anyone have any experience fudging a little more? I'm a pretty light packer, but doubt I can make the 13 lbs. Do they actually weigh the carry-ons or are they just trying to weed out the steamer trunks some try to bring onboard? Being able to carry on will mean the difference of making our connection, or needing to change. Thanks for all your help.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sometimes they weigh, sometimes they don't. But by the time they weigh - it is too late. When they weigh, they are strict IME.

What I do on VS is take a large handbag -- but not large enough to look like another piece of luggage. Like one of the bigger le Sport sac's. Then I put all the heavy things (paperback(s), flat iron, pair of shoes, my quart baggie of liquids, toiletries, etc.) in the handbag. My carry-on will be just under 6kg and my handbag about 10 lbs. Then after security I shuffle things about so my handbag is lighter.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM

VS are pretty strict. I fly with them several times a year but in premium or upper. If the flight is not that full and there are no weight restrictions they might overlook the carry-on weight. Yes they can weigh the carry-ons if they want to. If it overweight they can ask you to take something out to make it lighter.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Yes they are strict on weight. And if you are flying in the upper deck seats the bins are smaller. Even my laptop carry on that did have some clothes in it as well didn't fit .The attendant had to take it to a storage closet in the back.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM

They are strict. The last time I went to London I was flying Virgin home out of Gatwick and they were weighing all carry ons. A lot of people were having to take stuff out of their carry ons and put in their checked luggage or to divide it up among their families.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:42 AM

I wonder what they do about camera gear then? My gear weighs a lot but KLM NW and BA have never had a problem with it.
I would not check it as I don't believe it would all come out the other end, and if it did the chances are some of it would be damaged, as I don't have a hard case for it. I doubt Virgin would accept liability for it.
It's worth knowing about them being so strict. I shan't be using them in a hurry.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When we flew home from London, they weighed my carry-on and told me to remove some of its weight if I wanted to carry it on.. I had it packed full with pottery I had bought in Greece. I had to check the bag and luckily, everything arrived home in good condition.