Flying US to Rome. Help please!

Old May 10th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Kelly

Flying US to Rome. Help please!

Hello my friends,
I need to book my tickets for my Italy trip soon and I'm looking for advise. What are the best airlines and best deals? I've been looking into priceline, any suggestions. I'm flying from Boston to Rome. Any help is much appreciated.
Ciao,
Kelly

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:33 PM
richardab

When I fly to Italy I usually cannot get a direct flight. I usually take a Lufthansa flight and connect thru Munich or Frankfurt. Kufthansa has a great on-time record and I have never missed a connection. Munich and Frankfurt are both great airports too. Actually I perfer Munich. Lufthansa service is good and efficient as comparable to most other airlines.

One note, Lufthansa is having a labor issue with pilots right now. If the pilots strike, they still operate most trans atlantic flight with non union pilots. Some flights between Frankfurt and Rome are operated via Lufthansa City Line which is a partner division and not affected by the strike. If you cann Lufthansa, ask if the flight is s regular Lufthansa flight or a City Line flight. Also don't book on Thursdays which is the day the strikes are targeted for.

Right now LH is advertising flights to Frankfurt for $333 from Boston for mid week travel. Ask the agent if they have any inter Europe specials. Sometime they offer a $89 fare with a trans atlantic ticket.

P.S. United also offers some good fares thru London Heathrow with connection on its partner airline British Midlands.

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:43 PM
richardab

Kelly,

I forgot to invite you to visit my websight on Rome. The address is--

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Kelly

Come on guys. A little more advise from all the Italy experts. Share the wisdom.
Thanx
-Kelly

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Sue

Hi,

I ahve bought tickets for this summer form boston to Italy. They are very expensive. Alitlia goes direct to Milan. If you are traveling between June 16th and the middle of September be prepared to pay around $1030 or more. Prices drop before or after. I got my tickets from a consolidator out of Texas. They had the best price. It is Discovery World Tours. The web site is www.discoveryworld.com They charged $35 for each ticket for a credit card. If you sned them a certified check there is no extra charge. I got the tickets in the mail and called the airlines to comfirm the reservations and we are on the flight. These tickets are on Sebena going and Swissair returning. We are arriving in one city and returning form another. You can go to the North End to a local travel agency. I tried one and the price was $900 round trip (going into Naples leaving fomr Rome), but they did not have the dates I needed. The place was on Salem St. I cannot remember the name of the agency. they use Alitalia. Good Luck.

Old May 10th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Andy

Saw ad on TV tonite.,British AIrways is selling $199 each way to Rome,or frankfurt,or paris with 3 FREE days in London- call 1-800-airways-this price is in and out of NYC(KFK) and has to be booked by MAY 24th-2001

Old May 11th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Maira

I am flying ALB-Rome for $420.00/RT the first week of Nov. Found this deal at flights.com (formerly TISS.com). I have found great deals at cheaptickets.com, expedia.com, priceline is best with hotels. Also, try QIXO.com. This site searches about 10 consolidators at the same time and ranks the cheapest fares. As far as airlines, it appears USAirways and Continental work well with consolidators. Beware of Iberia, if they offer a good deal.