Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help to plan my Rome/Florence Trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2001, 03:22 AM
Faye

Am planning my first trip to Rome and Florence. Will stay there for 8 days. Please could someone recommend an itinerary? Did anyone stay at Hotel City or Hotel Kraft in Florence? (Which one is better?) My friend recommends me to go to Lucca as well, what do you think?? Is it too rush? thanks v.m.

Old May 10th, 2001, 03:34 AM
francesca

I just returned from Florence this week and have also visited Rome. You should probably split your time between the two. You will need 4 days for Florence if you love Rennaisance art and want to do a day trip. Otherwise 3 days is ok, IMHO. I didn't stay in either hotel, so can't say. I didn't love our hotel, La Scaletta. I can give you a few good restaurants if you want, though. Have never been to Lucca, but have visited Montepuliciano, Montalcino, Sienna and St Gimigniano--though those are perhaps further away. Feel free to mail me if you have any specific questions.

Old May 10th, 2001, 04:00 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I have files on Florence and Rome; if you'd like to see them, email me. <BR>It's hard to make recommendations without knowing you. What made you choose Florence and Rome? Art museums, architecture? Churches? Do you prefer countryside to cities? <BR>If you will have 8 days actually on your trip, you might want to plan on four days in Florence, and, depending on your interests, take one or two of those days and do day trips to Siena (which I love) and/or Lucca and/or <BR>one of the other Tuscan cities or towns. <BR>There are bus and/or train connections that make those day trips relatively easy.

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:21 AM
meg

Contact Scala Reale for small group guided tours in Rome and Firenze Antica for tours in Florence. Take a guided tour the first day you get to each city, and it will make the most incredible difference in your entire experience.

Old May 11th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Faye

Hi Francesca, thx for your reply. have decided to stay in Rome for 4 days, then to Florence for 3 days and a day trip to Siena. Can you recommend some nice restaurants?! thanks