Search

Flying to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying to Italy

Need advice on getting to Siena from Boston in late April. Is it better (e.g., easier, faster, cheaper) to go to Rome or Florence? If Rome, should I fly from Boston with a stop somewhere in Europe or direct to Rome from JFK? If Rome, should I drive directly to Siena or Eurostar to Florence and then drive to Siena. I got stuck by a strike in DeGaulle for 8 hours last spring on way to Florence and want to avoid that if possible.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 02:41 PM
rex

Since you are familiar with Italy already, I would recommend the nonstop flight to Rome (unless other choices are sharply better priced), and then take the bus from Roe to Siena. I do not know if there is a choice for bus travel directly from Fiumicino or not (I actually doubt it a bit) - - but even starting from within the city of Rome per se (even at Termini, for example), I think that the bus from Rome invloves less schlepping (yourself and your luggage) than the train alternative, which requires a minimum of train to bus transfer in Florence - - or train to train to taxi (to get you up the hill from Siena train station; the bus goes directly up).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Pisa is your best connection if you plan to drive. Check out BA via London.
Or, BA via London and Meridiana to Florence. Yes, do avoid CDG.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:18 AM

I agree to avoid Paris CDG.

I would suggest to check with Lufthansa as they fly 3 times a day out of Boston to Germany, Munich (MUC) or Frankfurt (FRA) and then 8 or 9 times a day from Germany (MUC/FRA) to Florence (FLR). Some examples for late April 2006 schedule
check www.amadeus.net):

LH 425 BOS-MUC 18:45 - 08:10 next day
LH4070 MUC-FLR 09:05 - 10:30 next day

LH 421 BOS-FRA 21:50 - 10:55 next day
LH4064 FRA-FLR 12:15 - 13:45 next day

LH 423 BOS-FRA 16:25 - 05:30 next day
LH4060 FRA-FLR 07:55 - 09:25 next day

then train or car from Florence to Siena.

Once in Munich you can also fly to Pisa (PSA) by LH-EN codeshare Lufthansa with Air Dolomiti but FLR has many more connections.

Buon viaggio !
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Sure, Florence may be closer to Siena, but I would think a non-stop flight to Rome versus changing planes to get to Florence far outweighs the closeness to Siena.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:50 AM

You have to change plane one time anyway, either in JFK or in Europe, then if you fly into Rome you have a longer transfer to Siena. I would prefer to change flight in Europe and landing in Florence, much closer to Siena.
Another option in favour of Flying into Florence is that you get only one train to Siena, while from Rome you also have to take two trains !! checl www.trenitalia.com

in a few words:

1) BOS-EU-FLR + 1 train to Siena

2) BOS-JFK-FCO + 2 trains to Siena

I suggest n. 1) with Lufthansa
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the thoughtful responses. Here is another option. How about US Air to Munich and Lufthansa to Pisa and drive from Pisa to Siena? Only $618 from Boston.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:03 PM
rex

<<You have to change plane one time anyway, either in JFK or in Europe, then if you fly into Rome you have a longer transfer to Siena. I would prefer to change flight in Europe and landing in Florence, much closer to Siena.>>

I agree with Fabio. I missed the fact that the origination is BOS (thought it was JFK).

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:16 AM

If I am not wrong US Air flies from Philly to Munich !!

If you prefer arriving to Pisa instead of Florence take LH 425 BOS-MUC-PSA !

but also consider the fare, of course !!

US Air and Lufthansa are both partners of Star Alliance. There should be not much difference, if not the same fare !
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM

Have you tried booking a flight from the US nonsptop to Florence? It's near impossible.

Also, Siena not a good train transit point. You are far better off taking a bus from Rome.

"Many thanks for the thoughtful responses. Here is another option. How about US Air to Munich and Lufthansa to Pisa and drive from Pisa to Siena? Only $618 from Boston."

If you have to change planes to get to Italy, then you are losing any posible advantage of arriving in Pisa.

Just bite the bullet. Go to Rome and bus to Siena. Or train to Florence and bus to Siena.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM
rex

<<If you have to change planes to get to Italy, then you are losing any posible advantage of arriving in Pisa.>>

Hmmm... not following the story, it seems...

There <i><b>is no nonstop service</b></i> Boston-Rome. period. A change will be required somewhere. Pisa and Florence are equally viable gateway airports for travel to Siena as Rome, given the fact that nonstop service from Boston to various other Europe gateway airports DOES exist.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:49 AM

again I also focus on the disadvantage to land in Rome:

- 2 trains to get to Siena, change in Chiusi (better) or in Florence (longer way), but first you have to get from airport FCO to downtown Rome station, Roma Ostiense or Roma Termini
- longer transfer also by car. According to the time of arrival in Rome you might spend even 2 hours to get out of the city suburbs due to the traffic, before heading north on highway A1.

Florence and Pisa are much better options.

Florence airport is very small and also the runway is relatively short. Due to this only small aircrafts can land there and definitely no way to have larger aircrafts for any no-stop flight outside Europe. A european gateway is necessary unless your option will include Alitalia via Milan Malpensa (MXP) or Rome (FCO)both connecting to Florence but Alitalia is often on strike and flights may be cancelled easily.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Much to think about.

Thank you all.